Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 at 16:54 PM

Evatt Goal Earns Seasiders A Point

An equaliser from Ian Evatt on the stroke of half-time gave the Seasiders their second point of the season against Cardiff City.

The Seasiders dominated most of the possession for the majority of the game but the visitors took the led through Michael Chopra after 11 minutes.

But then came the equaliser from Evatt. The defender netted something of a collectors' item as he curled an effort into the bottom corner to level matters.

Ian Holloway opted to start the game with Paul Rachubka in goal, a back four of Alex Baptiste, Ian Evatt, Rob Edwards and Stephen Crainey, and a midfield three of David Vaughan, Charlie Adam and Keith Southern. Jason Euell and Gary Taylor-Fletcher were tasked with supporting Brett Ormerod up top.

The Seasiders started on the front foot from the off, inside the first two minutes Charlie Adam forced David Marshall to tip over a curling effort from the edge of the box.

Four corners in quick succession kept the visitor pegged back in their own box as the home side looked to take advantage of their possession.

Against the run of play it was Cardiff City who took the lead after 11 minutes, MICHAEL CHORPA finding himself space in the box before looping an effort over Paul Rachubka with the aid of a Rob Edwards deflection.


The Seasiders restarted the game in the same manner that they opened it but the constant flow of the match was disrupted somewhat due to a number of free-kicks.

Blackpool were working some nice shapes and playing plenty of quick-touch football. Keith Southern looked to take advantage of space he found himself in by lashing a shot just over the corner of the crossbar.

The Seasiders deserved to be at least level in the game but it was Cardiff who had the best chance to double their lead, Paul Rachubka needed to race out and prevent a clear Michael Chopra from rounding him.

Cardiff were dealt a major blow in the 34th minute when Ross McCormack appeared to pull his hamstring while chasing down the ball. Chris Burke immediately replaced him.

A great last-ditch tackle from Paul Quinn denied Gary Taylor-Fletcher the chance to go in on goal seven minutes before the interval, a chance that came as McCormack was being stretchered off.

A great, mazy run from Chris Burke nearly resulted in a goal right before half-time but the Seasiders just got enough bodies back to shepherd him off the ball.

It was a vital piece of defending, however, as moments later IAN EVATT curled a great effort into the bottom corner following a great knock down from a free-kick by Brett Ormerod (45).


The second-half restarted with Peter Whittingham firing a 20-yard free-kick just wide before Brett Ormerod went close to connecting his head to a great ball from Charlie Adam. It was clear to see that both sides were intent on keeping up the pace of the first-half.

Stephen Crainey was the next player to have an effort; he forced David Marshall to tip the ball over the bar from a well-won free-kick by Charlie Adam. The winner of the free-kick then saw his own looping effort fall on the roof of the net.

Cardiff made their second change on 58, Gavin Rae replacing Stephen McPhail.

The Seasiders were continuing to push for the winner in the game, Jason Euell and Brett Ormerod both seeing opportunities go amiss.

Cardiff used their third and final substitute to replace the injured Paul Quinn with Adam Matthews. The Seasiders made a double substitution minutes later with Daniel Nardiello and Ishmel Demontagnac coming on for Brett Ormerod and Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Jason Euell then forced a fine save out of David Marshall as play resumed.

The Seasiders were piling on the pressure with minutes to go and only the outstretched arm of David Marshall prevented Ian Evatt from getting a second with a header. Bluebirds' captain Mark Hudson then missed a glaring opportunity before the whistle blew.


Attendance: 7,698 (1307 visitors)

    Latest Match Reports