Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Aug 09 at 18:36 PM

Honours Even At Vicarage Road

Pool boss Ian Holloway made two changes to the side that drew with Derby County on Tuesday night, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was handed his full debut in place of Brett Ormerod, whilst Stephen Crainey replaced Rob Edwards, the changes saw Emmanuel-Thomas take the wide left role and Crainey his usual left back spot, which allowed Alex Baptiste to return to his preferred position of centre back.

With "Drummer Hoggy" and co making a great deal of noise, Pool on a pleasant sunny afternoon got things underway Pool enjoyed the majority of the possession in the opening five minutes, however, it was Watford's former Pool loanee who had the games first clear cut chance, Danny Graham slipped through on goal but was denied by a fine save from Paul Rachubka.

Charlie Adam flashed over from 30 yards on 19 minutes, but it was Watford who took the lead on 24 minutes when TOMMY SMITH rifled into the bottom corner.

Four minutes after Watford had scored David Vaughan almost put Pool back on level terms a neat move down the Seasiders left saw the ball fall to Vaughan and the Welshman volleyed just over with the keeper beaten.

As the half time interval approached Charlie Adam smashed another long range effort just over.

With commentary restored on Tangerine Player, I was able to concentrate a little more on the game and just ten minutes of the second half, Ian Holloway's men were back on level terms, the Seasiders won a corner on the right, Neal Eardley floated a great ball towards JAY EMMANUEL-THOMAS, who headed home.

Neal Eardley picked up his first booking as a Pool player following some choice words to referee Darren Deadman.

The goal had given the Seasiders some new impetus and David Vaughan almost put Pool in front on the hour when he fired just wide.

But despite being on top, Pool found themselves behind on 63 minutes and even the most ardent of Watford fan will admit there was a touch of good fortune for the hosts, Stephen Crainey and TOM CLEVERLEY challenged as the Pool full back was looking to clear and the ball somehow looped in.

Charlie Adam who was at the heart of everything fired wide on 67 minutes before two minutes later attempting a sensational scissor kick from Rachubka's clearance.

Rachubka then had to be alert to save from Lloyd Doyley before Pool pulled themselves back on level terms for the second time, Charlie Adam weaved his way through the Watford defence before unselfishly squaring across the face of goal to GARY TAYLOR-FLETCHER.

Ian Evatt and Keith Southern picked up yellows in between Ben Burgess replacing Jason Euell.

Charlie Adam went close again on 84 minutes and as the full time whistle approached Pool made a double change with Brett Ormerod and Billy Clarke replacing Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

Having looked the most likely winners, the Seasiders were indebted to Paul Rachubka in stoppage time, the Amercian keeper produced a world class save to turn John Eustace's shot on to the post.

Pool: Rachubka, Eardley, Evatt, Baptiste, Crainey, Taylor-Fletcher (Ormerod 90), Southern, Vaughan, Adam, Emmanuel-Thomas (Clarke 90), Euell (Burgess 75) Subs Not Used: Gilks, Demontagnac, Bangura, Edwards

Attendance: 12,745 (670 Away)

Referee: Mr D Deadman

    Latest Match Reports