Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Sep 09 at 16:56 PM

Unbeaten Run Comes To An End At Leiceste

Ian Holloway's return to Leicester was not be a fairytale winning return, but for long periods Pool's crisp passing and swift attacking nature frustrated the Foxes whose supporters booed in pantomime fashion every time the Seasiders manager barked orders from the touchline to his new charges.

Fantastic sunshine greeted a Pool team that saw just onechange to the one that disposed of Coventry two weeks earlier, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas came in for the injured Gary Taylor-Fletcher whilst Ben Burgess declared himself fit following a knee injury on Thursday.

Backed by another fantastic vocal following the Tangerines got things underway and to their credit Pool started brightly, Emmanuel-Thomas found Jason Euell wide on the right who squared to Charlie Adam some 20 yards out and the former Rangers man fired just wide with the keeper scrambling just wide.

Two minutes later Charlie Adam smashed a free kick just wide as Pool edged the opening exchanges.

Danny N'Guessan fired wide before seeing a strike saved by Rachubka, Rachubka also had to be alert to save Steven Howard's header after the former Luton man had been found by a great cross from Berner.

It was the Seasiders who should have taken the lead when Keith Southern hit the post after some great work down the Pool left, Jason Euell followed up only to be denied by a great save from Chris Weale.

Pool had adopted a high defensive line in the opening stages, however with the threat of Howard flicking things on to his quick strike partner Matty Fryatt Pool at times looked vulnerable and The Seasiders were grateful to the linesman's flag on a couple of occasions when Fryatt got in behind Rob Edwards and Ian Evatt.

At the other end Neal Eardley scampered down the right wing to pull back to Charlie Adam who again from 20 yards pulled the trigger, this time the Scot saw his effort blocked behind for a corner.

With both sides creating chances in what was an open entertaining game, first blood fell to the hosts on 26 minutes, a quickly taken free kick from Richie Wellens found MATTY FRYATT who had once again got behind a Pool back four appealing for offside and the former Walsall man made no mistake firing home from just inside the penalty area.

Fryatt went close two minutes later but it was the Seasiders who pulled themselves back on level terms and once again it came through CHARLIE ADAM, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas broke up play and found Charlie Adam who waltzed his way through the Foxes defence before slotting past the advancing Weale for his third goal of the season.

Danny N'Guessan was proving to be a real threat he saw a shot blocked by Ian Evatt on 34 minutes before heading wide from a Berner cross a minute later. Stephen Crainey made sure N'Guessan knew he wasn't going to get it all his own way on 38 minutes with a late challenge that earned Pool's left back a yellow card.

Crainey was joined in the book by Ian Evatt three minutes before the break referee Mr Singh penalised Pool's centre back for a foul on Steven Howard, however, Evatt did protest his innocence claiming he won the ball fairly, few would agree with the big man on this occasion!

Half Time Leicester City 1 Blackpool 1

Both teams began the second period brightly, Fryatt and Howard combined well for Leicester whilst for Pool Jason Euell hit the outside of the post with a bullet header after a great ball from Neal Eardley.

Having once again edged the opening stages Pool found themselves behind on 58 minutes, an error from Rob Edwards gifted MATTY FRYATT his secondof the afternoon.

Leicester had a great chance to make it 3-1 mid way through the half when Steven Howard fired wide, whilst Jay Emmanuel-Thomas fired just wide from long range moments later.

Hameur Bouazza made his Pool debut on 73 minutes when he replaced Brett Ormerod, Bouazza was joined by Billy Clarke who replaced Jason Euell.

Clarke's first touch was to earn Pool a corner but despite Neal Eardley's great delivery, Pool failed to test Chris Weale.

David Vaughan became Pool's final change of the afternoon when he replaced Keith Southern with three minutes remaining.

With stoppage time approaching, Ben Burgess saw a shot deflected agonisingly wide for a corner but Pool failed to test the Leicester defence.

Whilst Ian Holloway will be disappointed to have lost his unbeaten run there were lots of positives to take from the game.

Pool: Rachubka, Eardley, Evatt, Edwards, Crainey, Southern (Vaughan 87), Adam, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ormerod (Bouazza 73)), Burgess, Euell (Clarke 73) Subs Not Used: Gilks, Martin, Bangura, Baptiste

Attendance: 22,827 (1,007 Pool)

    Latest Match Reports