Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Oct 09 at 17:03 PM

Full Time Report From Selhurst Park

In Neil Warnock's pre-match interview the Palace boss bemoaned his team's lack of goals in the first half but after just three minutes of Saturday's game the former Sheffield United manager was sporting a massive grin as his side took an early lead.

A quickly taken throw in from Nathaniel Clyne found Danny Butterfield who floated a great cross from the left, Rob Edwards slipped as he looked to challenge ALAN LEE and with Edwards on all fours Lee powered a header beyond Paul Rachubka.

Charlie Adam tried to pull Pool on to level terms, his surging run from inside the Pool half on 12 minutes found Brett Ormerod who saw his finished blocked behind by the Palace defence, the resulting corner from David Vaughan was easily cleared by the hosts who looked to counter at pace.

Charlie Adam curled a free kick over the bar a minute later the Scottish international had previously been upended by Shaun Derry as he looked to weave his magic through the Palace back line.

Charlie Adam was fortunate not to receive a yellow card after a few choice words with Clint Hill and Shaun Derry.

With Palace in front, the hosts were content to let Pool play in front of them and despite enjoying plenty of possession Pool didn't really test Speroni, Keith Southern saw a long range effort deflected straight at the keeper after a smart move involving Jason Euell and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

When Palace did go forward they were a danger and on 25 minutes Pool were indebted to the wood work, Alan Lee rose to nod into the path of Scannell who saw his first time finish cannon back off the post and out for a goal kick.

Charlie Adam tried to emulate David Beckham's infamous strike against Wimbledon on 28 minutes, the midfielder collected the ball just inside the Pool half and spotted Speroni off his line, unfortunately for Adam and the Seasiders his chip flew just over.

Warnock's grin was broadened on the half hour when his side doubled their lead, a quickly taken free kick from Clint Hill found Shaun Derry, the former Leeds midfielder crossed a great ball into the area where former Pool loanee NEIL DANNS got in front of Neal Eardley to head home and make it 2-0.

You sensed that it wasn't to be Pool's afternoon and that frustration was compounded on 36 minutes, Jason Euell threaded a great ball to Alex Baptiste who looked to have timed his run to perfection to smash a great finish beyond Speroni, but as Baptiste was about to wheel away in celebration the Pool defender spotted the linesman flag and his effort was chalked off. TV replays however, showed that Baptiste was onside and that the goal should have stood.

Half Time Crystal Palace 2 Blackpool 0

The interval saw Pool make a change with Ben Burgess replacing Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and the big striker was denied a goal six minutes after the re-start by a fantastic save by Speroni, Brett Ormerod did fantastically well to cross from the left , Burgess rose the highest to plant a bullet header in the corner, but Speroni was equal to the header and acrobatically turned the ball away.

However Pool didn't have to wait too much longer to pull a goal back, Charlie Adam swept the ball out to David Vaughan wide on the left, Vaughan then floated a great ball to ALEX BAPTISTE who had escaped Paddy McCarthy to head home for his first goal of the season.

Neal Eardley smashed one wide on 59 minutes the Welsh international was found by a great ball from Ormerod as Pool dominated the play.

Having dominated play Pool found themselves two goals behind again when DARREN AMBROSE raced on to a through ball from Ertl, the former Charlton man appeared to be offside as he raced clear but the assistant referee kept his flag down and Palace restored their two goal advantage.

Alex Baptiste picked up a yellow card following an incident with Ertl who also picked up a yellow after hand bags at ten paces.

Billy Clarke replaced Brett Ormerod on 72 minutes as Ian Holloway looked to take what would have been a deserved point from the game.

Stephen Crainey cannoned a free kick into the wall on 77 minutes whilst Keith Southern volleyed the rebound wide moments later.

With four minutes remaining Pool made their final change of the afternoon when Hameur Bouazza replaced Neal Eardley.

Speroni denied Ben Burgess two minutes from time, the big striker chested down a great ball from the right before trying to loft the ball over the advancing Speroni, but Burgess was denied by a fine save.

Speroni then launched one forward substitute ALASSANE N'DIAYE headed on into the path of fellow substitute Lee Hills, Hills crossed behind Pool's backline to N'Diaye who swept home to give Palace a more than flattering scoreline.

Pool: Rachubka, Eardley (Bouazza 86), Edwards, Baptiste, Crainey, Adam, Southern, Vaughan, Emmanuel-Thomas (Burgess 45), Euell, Ormerod (Clarke 72) Subs Not Used: Gilks, Martin, Bangura, Seip

Referee: Mr A Taylor (Manchester)

Attendance: 15,749 (817 Away)

    Latest Match Reports