Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Oct 09 at 22:35 PM

Second-Half Super Show Blunts Blades

Three second-half goals from Marcel Seip, Jason Euell and Charlie Adam saw Blackpool beat Sheffield United 3-0 at Bloomfield Road.

The victory was the fifth at home this season - the same amount achieved all last season - and ensured that the unbeaten run at Bloomfield Road continued.

A pretty chanceless first-half gave the impression that this would be a game separated by just the one goal. But the introductions of Charlie Adam and David Vaughan from the bench inspired the Seasiders to a scintillating second-half display.

The manager surprised one or two people with his team selection and handed a shock start to Gary Taylor-Fletcher on his return from injury. Fletch started up front alongside Brett Ormerod and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas as the manager made seven changes from Saturday's Plymouth victory.

The manager had spoken prior to the match about he had faith in all of his players coming in the team and causing Sheffield United problems. The likes of Neal Eardley and Ishmel Demontagnac were proving the manager's point and both linked up to give Jason Euell a great chance with a header.

Euell's chance was the only clear opening in a somewhat chanceless first 20 minutes. Sheffield United then had their first sight of goal and Matt Gilks did well to stop and a drive from Darius Henderson.

Ishmel Demontagnac was really making the most of his starting opportunity, with his mazy runs causing the Blades' team endless problems on the counter-attack. The visitors were causing problems themselves however, with David Cotterill seeing a lot of the ball out wide.

A cross-shot from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas at the other end found its way to an unsuspecting Brett Ormerod but he just couldn't reposition himself and direct his header quick enough. Matt Kilgallon then went close with a header from a corner in the Blackpool penalty-area.

There was a break in play six minutes before half-time and the much talked-about beach ball made an appearance on the turf. The referee stopped play and quickly had it removed on this occasion. Matt Gilks was later forced to pull off a fine stop again for the Seasiders, this time from James Harper.

Both Neal Eardley and Richard Creswell were booked for a confrontation following a foul before half-time but at the interval the game remained goalless.


Ian Holloway opted to make a double substitution for the second-half as the Seasiders looked to find the breakthrough. Charlie Adam and David Vaughan were the players to come on, Al Bangura and Gary Taylor-Fletcher the players to go off.

Adam had an instant impact for the Seasiders as he drew a foul on the edge of the area. Neal Eardley stepped up to take the resulting free-kick but his effort sailed over the bar. Another free-kick moments later, this time taken by Charlie Adam, then saw Alex Baptiste have a headed effort saved. Matt Gilks prevented James Harper yet again at the other end.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas attempted to open his account for Blackpool 11 minutes into the second-half but his strike deflected wide.

The substitutions worked for Blackpool though after 60 minutes when David Vaughan floated a great corner into the box and MARCEL SEIP came running in at the back to head the ball home. It was the defender's second goal in two games.


The goal appeared to give the home side a confidence boost and it wasn't long until Sheffield United were defending once again, this time preventing Jason Euell from heading in a second.

The Seasiders still needed to keep their composure at the back, however, but Alex Baptiste and Stephen Crainey were outstanding when called upon.

Sheffield United were coming under increasing pressure and a second goal for Blackpool now looked more forthcoming than an equaliser for the visitors.

A great ball across field from Charlie Adam found Jay Emmanuel-Thomas in space, the Arsenal man then played the ball back for Neal Eardley to force a fine stop from Mark Bunn. The Seasiders weren't to be outdone, though, as Neal Eardley later turned provider for JASON EUELL to slot in a second for Blackpool (69).


The home side were now in full flow and looked set to add more to the tally. Alex Baptiste was the next player to have an effort but his strike fell just wide.

Sheffield United made a double substitution as they looked to get back into the game, Ryan France and Richard Creswell - booed for his former Preston connections - were the players to go off and Ched Evans and Keith Treacy came on.

A stunning effort from Charlie Adam, who was all of 40-yards out, came ever so close to beating the Mark Bunn who was racing back towards his line. The midfielder's invention deserved a goal.

The Seasiders made their third and final substitution with 12 minutes remaining, Hameur Bouazza replacing Ishmel Demontagnac. Lee Williamson was utilised as Sheffield United's final substitution.

The change made no difference for Sheffield United, though, as CHARLIE ADAM capped off an impressive second-half stint by drilling the ball in from the edge of the area (80).


Sheffield United had no answer for the second-half onslaught as Blackpool made it six points from six. Next stop Swansea City.


Attendance: 8042 (857 away)

    Latest Match Reports