Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Oct 09 at 18:22 PM

Full Time Report From Doncaster

Pork pies and the fantastic biscuit selection supplied by Trax Fm were completely in abundance as usual at the Keep Moat Stadium, however Doncaster's pre-match entertainment was a bleach blonde singer called Donna Mooney fair enough an X factor winner she is not but the South Yorkshire vocalist sported an unusual choice of wardrobe for the pre-match gig, entering into the Halloween spirit, she sported a Lycra ghost suit that covered only half of her top half, the other exposed flesh was open to the chilly elements with her modesty covered by a small piece of red cloth!

Having been distracted by the pre-match singer's attire, a Pool side that saw four changes to the side that drew with Swansea seven days earlier took to the field. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was asked to fill the massive void left by the suspension to Charlie Adam whilst Ian Evatt, Brett Ormerod and Ben Burgess replaced Billy Clarke, the injured Neal Eardley and Hameur Bouazza who has returned to France to be with an ill family member.

Backed by a fantastic vocal following Pool got things underway but the travelling Tangerine Army were briefly silenced after just five minutes when Doncaster skipper MARTIN WOODS rounded off a swift Doncaster counter attack with a sublime finish, Ben Burgess had earlier twice missed his kick, the second somehow found Jason Euell inside the area, Pool's skipper saw his effort blocked and Doncaster countered at pace through John Oster who threaded a great ball to his skipper and Woods dispatched a great finish into the bottom left hand corner of the goal. That goal is the first Pool have conceded in over four and a half hours.

Doncaster were content to allow Pool to have possession in areas that didn't hurt them and three minutes after taking the lead the Doncaster faithful were disappointed not to have doubled their lead when Dean Sheils fired wide from the edge of the area.

The quarter hour mark saw the first corner of the afternoon when Marcel Seip turned a cross behind, and Pool were fortunate to have found themselves two down, when Sam Hird was allowed a free header 12 yards out fortunately the defender couldn't direct his header on goal.

Moments later Matt Gilks was forced to block at the feet of Billy Clark as slick Doncaster piled on the pressure, Pool managed to clear behind for a corner which was headed clear by Ian Evatt.

Pool forced their first corner of the afternoon on 21 minutes, when Jay Emmanuel-Thomas found Alex Baptiste with a fantastic piece of skill; Baptiste saw his cross blocked out for corner. David Vaughan trotted to the right hand corner flag and saw his inch perfect cross met by Ian Evatt who powered a header towards goal BRETT ORMEROD got the last touch to take the ball through Sullivan's legs.

Pool were relieved when Matt Gilks saved well to his left on 32 minutes, the Pool stopper was forced into a reflex save after James Coppinger's cross cannoned towards goal off Stephen Crainey.

Doncaster's swift counter attacking almost netted them a 37th minute lead, Alex Baptiste drilled a shot from David Vaughan's corner into a Doncaster man and the hosts countered again, this time Baptiste was equal to the task and tracked back to block Billy Sharp who had sprinted forward from the edge of the Doncaster penalty area.

Three minutes before the break Matt Gilks produced a brave block at the feet of Billy Sharp after the on loan striker was sent clear.

In first half stoppage time Brett Ormerod burst forward from inside the Pool half skipping past several Doncaster men on his way, just as he was about to pull trigger the striker was blocked and Pool earned a corner, once again David Vaughan trotted out to the left flank to take the set play, this time, the Ian Evatt headed into the path off Ormerod who shot straight at the keeper.

The interval saw another track from our friend Ms Mooney and with some of the press discussing whether or not she would be a worthy contender for Eurovision, the hosts took the lead when BILLY SHARP fired Doncaster into the lead, a slick move down the Doncaster left saw Gareth Roberts cross to Sharp who fired beyond Gilks into the bottom left hand corner from close range, a closer look at the clock saw just 19 seconds of the second half had expired and many supporters were still taking their seats with their half time refreshments in hand.

Pool almost snatched an equaliser when Brett Ormerod's cross cum shot took a wicked deflection and out for a corner, once again, Pool were almost caught napping from the resulting set play, David vaughan's effort was well dealt with by the Rovers defence and once again the hosts countered at pace, fortunately for Pool Martin Woods opted to go for goal despite having three men unmarked across the face of goaland Matt Gilks was on hand to save easily at his near post.

Pool should have been back on level terms on 61 minutes, a Stephen Crainey free kick was headed back across goal to Ben Burgess who four yards out stabbed his finish straight at the keeper.

Less than a minute later Pool were back on level terms thanks to a fantastic piece of skill from JAY EMMANUEL-THOMAS the on loan midfielder expertly skipped past two men before firing home from the edge of the area.

With both sets of supports in full voice, Martin Woods forced Matt Gilks into a fine save with rasping snap shot, Gilks was on hand moments later to expertly turn behind for a corner following a sweetly strike from James Chambers.

Gilks was on hand for a third time within three minutes, this time Pool's keeper raced off his line to smoother Coppinger's shot after the striker had shrugged off the attentions of Ian Evatt.

Doncaster's Martin Woods became the first player in the book on 71 minutes following a late challenge on Jay Emmanuel Thomas who had looked to race clear down the Pool left.

Keith Southern almost snatched the lead for the Seasiders on 76 minutes when he raced onto a great through ball from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, but Pool's combative midfielder could only fire straight at the keeper.

Pool took the lead for the first time on 77 minutes when BEN BURGESS netted an absolute stunner of a goal, the big striker who put in another fantastic shift up top curled a fantastic finish into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas enjoying his best game to date in a Tangerine shirt flashed a shot just over on 80 minutes.

The hosts then made a double change with James Hayter and Paul Heffernan replacing Jon Oster and Dean Shields.

Martin Woods drilled a left foot finish wide four minutes from time and with stoppage time approaching the hosts snatched an equaliser, BILLY SHARP sprang the offside trap to net his second of the afternoon, Ian Evatt and Stephen Crainey protested to the referee's assistant but to no avail and the goal stood.

Prior to the re-start Gary Taylor-Fletcher replaced Brett Ormerod but it was Doncaster who pressed for a winner,

In the final minute of time allowed, Jay Emmanuel Thomas saw a surging run come to an abrupt end at the edge of the area, by James Chambers Stephen Crainey stepped up and drilled into the wall, the referee didn't allow the corner to be taken and Pool returned home with a point.

Pool line up: Gilks, Baptiste, Evatt, Seip, Crainey, Southern, Vaughan, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ormerod (Taylor-Fletcher 90) Euell, Burgess Subs Not Used: Rachubka, Bangura, Edwards, Clarke, Martin, Almond.

Doncaster: Sullivan, Chambers, Shackell, Hird, Roberts, Oster (Hayter 81), Gillett (Wilson 78) M Woods, Shields (Heffernan 81), Coppinger, Sharp Subs Not Used: O'Connor, Spicer, Guy, G Woods

Referee: Mr M Oliver

Attendance: 10312

    Latest Match Reports