Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Nov 09 at 17:03 PM

Seasiders Come Back From Behind To Seal

Blackpool came from a goal behind and made the most of a man advantage to beat Scunthorpe 4-1 at Bloomfield Road.

A headed goal from Ian Evatt cancelled out Paul Hayes' opener for the visitors before Scunthorpe keeper was shown a red card for saving a strike from outside his area. Charlie Adam fired in the resulting free-kick prior to Ben Burgess and Alex Baptiste sealing the victory.

Manager Ian Holloway opted to make three changes to the side that drew at Doncaster, with Charlie Adam returning from suspension to captain the side. Jason Euell was named amongst the substitutes.

On a wet and blustery afternoon an exquisite effort from Billy Clarke nearly brightened things up. The striker turned his man on the edge of the area and unleashed a stunning curler that cannoned back off the post. It was an effort that deserved a goal.

The contest had been pretty even up until that point but the Seasiders, who were wearing a special poppy shirt for the game, started to see more of the ball soon after. Hameur Bouazza was looking extremely lively out wide and his turn of pace and skill seemed to be a potential outlet for an opening.

Despite that it was the Blackpool keeper who was called into action, Matt Gilks pulling off a fine save at the other end when getting down low to thwart Matthew Sparrow.

The constant downpour was making possession of the ball difficult, a number of passes were skimming across the turf and out of play. Chances were few and far between, but Alex Baptiste did see his effort charged down by Sam Togwell just after the half-hour mark.

Stephen Crainey had an effort from a free-kick five minutes before half-time but the ball failed to dip in time to trouble Joe Murphy. Jay Emmanuel Thomas became the last player to have a speculative effort before the half-time whistle blew.


The Seasiders came flying out of the traps in the second-half but it was the visitors who had the first real attempt, Paul Hayes seeing a low drive saved by Matt Gilks. The striker wasn't to be denied moments later, though, as he raced clear to dink the ball over the Seasiders' keeper (51).


The goal meant that the unbeaten run at Bloomfield Road was threatening to come to an end, but the Seasiders pushed forward in search of an equaliser. That equaliser was to come on 59 as IAN EVATT rose highest to head the ball into the top corner from an Alex Baptiste cross.


Blackpool were now sensing an opportunity to capitalise on the goal and they looked set to when Billy Clarke chased down the ball. Scunthorpe keeper Joe Murphy slid out to prevent the striker from getting the ball but then saved an effort from outside his area by Hameur Bouazza. Referee Colin Webster was left with no other decision than to show Murphy a straight red card.

With the visitors down to 10 men CHARLIE ADAM rifled the resulting free-kick straight past substitute keeper Sam Slocombe (64).


Blackpool were now buoyant and a stunning effort from Keith Southern nearly gave the Seasiders a third goal in quick succession. The midfielder saw his unstoppable strike from the outside of the area come bouncing down off the crossbar.

The atmosphere at Bloomfield Road was rocking by the time BEN BURGESS made it three. Sam Slocombe failed to keep hold of a low Stephen Crainey cross and the striker pounced on his error to completely turn the game around (70).


The visitors were now in disarray at the back, the Seasiders were pushing forward in numbers at every opportunity. Alex Baptiste made a great run into the box before seeing his header saved.

Hand ball claims were turned down by the referee on the 80 minute mark, Mirfin appeared to block Ben Burgess' header with an arm but the Blackpool appeals were waved away.

Charlie Adam, who was limping along following an earlier foul, was replaced by Jason Euell with six minutes remaining. Brett Ormerod and Al Bangura were the next players off the bench to come on, Hameur Bouazza and Billy Clarke were the players to go off.

The substitutions didn't mark the seeing out of the game though as ALEX BAPTISTE hit home from 20-yards to cap off a 4-1 victory (89). The visitors had a late effort ruled out for offside but the game was more than over by the time the linesman flagged. The comeback was the perfect way to round off the Seasiders' Armed Forces Day.


Attendance: 7,727 (347 away)

    Latest Match Reports