Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Nov 09 at 16:56 PM

Seasiders Unbeaten Run Comes To An End

Pool got things underway on a dull, grey, wet November afternoon and after just 34 seconds of the game Ian Holloway's men were indebted to a fantastic save by Matthew Gilks, the in-form stopper threw himself to his left to push away Jobi McAnuff's strike, the former Watford man had left Alex Baptiste in his wake with a fantastic jinking run before cutting in and firing a low shot across goal.

To say Reading enjoyed the majority of the opening stages would be an understatement and Pool were indebted to a hat trick of fantastic saves from Matt Gilks . On 6 minutes Gilks denied Brian Howard after Alex Baptiste had been penalised for a foul on the impressive McAnuff, less than two minutes later he was on hand to block a Simon Church strike, Church had been found by a teasing corner from Brian Howard. The hat trick of saves was complete on 11 minutes when Gilks denied Kebe.

Jay Tabb saw an twelfth minute free kick saved comfortably by GIlks whilst Howard fired wide on the quarter hour following another neat move through the middle of the park.

Pool's first attempt on goal of the afternoon came on 25 minutes, Charlie Adam threaded a great ball to Jason Euell who expertly laid off into the path of Ben Burgess, the big man fired a low left foot effort towards the bottom right hand corner but the effort was matched by Federici who turned behind for a corner.

Charlie Adam picked up the game's first yellow card on 26 minutes following a foul on Matejovsky, to be fair the foul wasn't worthy of a card, but referee Mr Scott pointed out that it was Adam's fourth foul of the game.

Ian Evatt curled one into the stand from the edge of the area on 29 minutes after a Charlie Adam free kick had been half cleared by the Reading defence.

Reading continued to enjoy the better of the game and on 35 minutes Simon Church found himself on goal only to direct his finish over the bar.

Pool should have taken the lead on when Ben Burgess fired against the post with the goal at his mercy.

Stephen Crainey joined his countryman in the book on 41 minutes for a late challenge

A minute before the break Gilks denied Reading with another good save this time to deny Sigurdsson.

Half Time Reading 0 Blackpool 0

The interval saw Joe Martin replace Stephen Crainey at left back and in the opening stages Charlie Adam smashed a sweet left foot effort just over the bar.

Pool enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges Jason Euell went close with an effort from the edge of the area. Pool then won their first corner of the afternoon, David Vaughan's inswinging effort was cleared and Reading countered at pace, Jobi McAnuff skipped down the left wing before finding Gylfi Sigurdsson who fired home.

Pool's response was immediate, Charlie Adam found Ben Burgess who layed back out to the talented Scot , Adam then sent a great cross to BRETT ORMEROD who made no mistake to put Pool back on to level terms.

Brett Ormerod almost added a second moments later, a great ball over the top saw the forward race towards goal, but the ball bounced towards the Reading keeper who had come a long way of his line to clear.

At the other end Matthew Gilks produced another fine save, this time he produced a reflex save to claw away after Keith Southern had headed a Brian Howard corner towards his own goal.

Pool made their second change of the afternoon on 66 minutes when Billy Clarke replaced Keith Southern, the change saw Jason Euell move into the heart of midfield with Clarke operating down the left.

Marcel Seip became the third player in the referees notebook following a late challenge on Robson-Kanu.

Ben Burgess almost put Pool in front with nine minutes remaining, a great curling cross from Joe Martin found Burgess at the far post, the big man nodded to Euell who thought about an acrobatic scissor kick, Euell twisted his way forward before laying to Burgess who curled just over with the keeper scrambling.

Having looked the most likely to win it in the second half Pool fell behind with six minutes remaining, Pool half cleared a corner, the ball fell out to McAnuff whose great cross was headed home by substitute Grzegorz Rasiak.

Pool almost grabbed an equaliser in the dying minutes Jason Euell's mazy run was blocked, the ball fell to Gary Taylor-Fletcher but his curling finish flew just over.

Ian Evatt was thrown forward in the five minutes of stoppage time and the big man almost snatched an equaliser, a long punt from Charlie Adam found the big man six yards out at the far post but the keeper racing off his line the defender could only direct his finish over thebar.

With the home fans berating the referee to bring an end to the contest Alex Baptiste headed agonisingly over from a Charlie Adam corner.

Pool: Gilks, Baptiste, Evatt, Seip, Crainey (Martin 45), Southern (Clarke 66), Adam Vaughan, Ormerod (Taylor-Fletcher 84), Burgess, Euell Subs Not Used: Rachubka, Eardley, Bangura, Edwards.

Reading: Federici, Tabb, Matejovsky, McAnuff, Kebe, Ingimarsson, Church (Rasiak 68), Bertrand, Sigurdsson (Karacan 71), Pearce, Howard Subs Not Used: Cisse, Mills, Gunnarsson, Robson-Kanu, Hamer,

Referee: Mr G Scott (Oxfordshire)

Attendance:15,945 (1,116 Away)

    Latest Match Reports