Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 at 17:06 PM

Late Goals End Home Record

Two late goals in the space of three minutes saw Barnsley end Blackpool's unbeaten home record with a 2-1 win at Bloomfield Road.

It was a tale of two penalties as Blackpool took the lead through Charlie Adam after Ryan Shotton was penalised for a handball, but Barnsley defender Bobby Hassell levelled with five minutes remaining, and then Andy Gray grabbed an undeserved winner from the penalty spot.

In a game that Blackpool dominated for long stages, manager Ian Holloway opted to make two changes to the side that drew with Preston on Monday night, Neal Eardley and Rob Edwards replacing Marcel Seip and Ian Evatt.

Adam Hammill and Carl Dickinson, two players who have had loan stints at Bloomfield Road, lined up for the visitors.

The Seasiders were dealt a major injury blow after just three minutes when Ben Burgess was forced to leave the field hobbling to be replaced by Jason Euell. Charlie Adam handed back the captain's armband to the striker.

It was Monday's goal hero Billy Clarke who had the Seasiders first real attempt at goal, the striker just curling an effort past the post. Quick thinking from Barnsley keeper Luke Steele then prevented Jason Euell when the early substitute looked to give Pool the lead. The striker was forced to take the ball past the Barnsley stopper on his weaker foot, forcing his shot to go wide.

Euell was prevented once again by Steele, this time with a great save, moments later. The Seasiders were having all of the early possession, though, and a goal looked on the horizon.

A high minute of drama saw shouts for a penalty when Billy Clarke chased the ball down before looking to take it past the onrushing Luke Steele. The visitors then broke down the left and found Daniel Bogdanovic one-on-one with Matt Gilks. The Blackpool keeper prevented the striker's first effort, and Stephen Crainey got back to clear the resulting rebound.

Hameur Bouazza was the next player to attempt for goal at the other end, his effort hitting the side netting.

A great ball from Charlie Adam came within inches of finding Jason Euell to open the scoring but some great defence blocking from Barnsley kept the score level. The visitors couldn't keep up with the quick counter attacking on display and were resorted to long balls up-field that Jon Macken and Daniel Bogdanovic continued to chase.

Billy Clarke infiltrated the Barnsley defence eight minutes before half-time, but Luke Steele pounced just in time to prevent a goal. The resulting challenge left Clarke injured so he was also replaced, Barry Bannan coming on in his place. It meant that Ian Holloway had used two of his substitutes before the break.


The visitors started the second-half the better of the two sides and Daniel Bogdanovic had a great opportunity to put them in front but volleyed straight over the bar from five yards out. Blackpool's response was a drilled effort from Stephen Crainey that deflected out off a tangerine shirt for a goal-kick.

Blackpool were coming under increasing pressure as the Tykes continued to utilise the ball a lot better but Charlie Adam did force a great stop from Luke Steele before Hameur Bouazza's rebound struck Keith Southern.

The game was quickly becoming an end-to-end affair as both sides pushed for a goal.

Barnsley opted for a double substitution on 70, Jon Macken and Daniel Bogdanovic came off for Andy Gray and Iain Hume.

Blackpool were then awarded a penalty on 71 by referee Lee Mason after an apparent handball by Ryan Shotton. CHARLIE ADAM stepped up and rifled the ball into the bottom right corner (72) to give the Seasiders the lead.


The midfielder immediately aimed to make it two but drilled his effort straight into the arms of Steele. Another effort followed on the half-volley when a great ball from Hameur Bouazza found the Scottish international.

From one Scottish player to another, a great cross from Barry Bannan was begging for someone to get on the end of it. The young winger definitely has a lot to offer the side. A stunning last-ditch tackle from Rob Kozluk then prevented Jason Euell from doubling Blackpool's lead.

The tackle was to prove all the more important when Bobby Hassell headed Barnsley level from a corner (85) with five minutes remaining.


Neither side looked set to settle for a point so a grandstand finish to the game was on the horizon. Barnsley were given that chance to grab a late winner when the referee awarded Barnsley a penalty, Alex Baptiste adjusted to have handled in the area. Andy Gray stepped up and smashed the ball past Matt Gilks (88).


The goal prompted the Seasiders to throw on Gary Taylor-Fletcher in place of Hameur Bouazza for the remaining minutes. Charlie Adam then came within inches of the net with a blazing effort on the run.

But four minutes of added time weren't enough for the Seasiders to get the result they deserved.


Attendance: 8108 (1284 away)

    Latest Match Reports