Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Feb 10 at 18:04 PM

Late Dobbie Effort Not Enough For Seasid

A late strike from Stephen Dobbie proved scant consolation as the Seasiders were beaten 2-1 by Leicester City at Bloomfield Road.

In a game that the team didn't really deserve to lose, it was Leicester who raced into a two-goal lead thanks to Dany N'Guessan and Lloyd Dyer, but Stephen Dobbie's 89th minute effort set up a tense finish at Bloomfield Road.

The late drama was to see Charlie Adam booked for what the referee felt was a dive in the area, meaning he now misses the next two league games through suspension.

The visitors were the side who started the game on the front foot with Alex Baptiste finding himself in the thick of the action after recovering from illness. The centre-back was on-hand in the early stages to clear a number of floated balls over the top.

Leicester's tempo nearly caught the Seasiders out as a quick throw from Matt Oakley allowed Matty Fryatt time and space to run clear but Matt Gilks did well to prevent him from opening the scoring.

The chance seemed to wake Blackpool up though, Stephen Dobbie going close from the edge of the area by rattling the crossbar. Some fine defending from Wayne Brown then prevented Dobbie from slotting in a teasing cross from Barry Bannan.

However it was the Foxes who were to take the lead as Dany N'Guessan sprung the offside trap to race clear and slot the ball past Matt Gilks (15).


Stephen Dobbie was seeing plenty of the ball for the Seasiders and it was the on loan Swansea striker who had the best opportunity to find an immediate equaliser. The forward ran on to a pass from Charlie Adam and forced a decent save out of goalkeeper Chris Weale.

The visitors had plenty of pace in attack and were constantly trying to catch the Seasiders on the counter. It was staying onside that was proving a problem.

Blackpool were starting to put Leicester under plenty of pressure and went close when Barry Bannan turned his man and just fired wide. Andy King forced a great save out of Matt Gilks at the other end.

The Foxes were causing plenty of problems at corners and had it not been for a goal-line clearance from Stephen Crainey, they would have increased their lead.

Some great interchange passing between Charlie Adam and Stephen Dobbie nearly resulted in a terrific equaliser for the Seasiders, Keith Southern picking up the pieces and firing agonisingly wide.

Ian Holloway was forced to make his first substitution shortly after, Barry Bannan leaving the field for Ben Burgess. The on loan Villa winger had been struggling with his groin since Wednesday night's game against West Brom. But this time it was a foot injury that forced him off.


Matty Fryatt had a great chance to extend Leicester's advantage shortly after the interval but he couldn't guide his header from a Dany N'Guessan cross downwards.

It was still the Seasiders in the ascendancy though and they were very unfortunate to have gone in at half-time behind. Stephen Crainey looked to correct that but his chip dropped too late.

Matt Gilks, recalled in place of Paul Rachubka, was in fine form at the other end and somehow managed to prevent Matty Fryatt from scoring.

Stephen Dobbie was the next to try for goal for Blackpool but his effort went over the bar.

Leicester made their first substitution just before the hour by bringing on Lloyd Dyer in place of Martyn Waghorn.

Some fine work once again for Blackpool, this time between Ben Burgess, Stephen Dobbie and Keith Southern, resulted in the latter forcing a great save out of Chris Weale with a header. The Seasiders were starting to up the pressure on Leicester but the visitors were still a major threat on the break.

Stephen Dobbie was continuing to be a real thorn in the Leicester side and he could have had a hat-trick on another day had it not been for some fine goalkeeping from Chris Weale.

The Seasiders made a substitution reminiscent of the Watford game with 16 minutes remaining, Ian Evatt was the man to come off once again but this time he was replaced by Ishmel Demontagnac. Charlie Adam filled the absent hole in the defence when required in the early stages.

With the home side now pushing further Leicester City broke to make it 2-0, Matty Fryatt racing away down the right and playing in Lloyd Dyer to finish (78).


In the midst of the Leicester celebrations the Blackpool stewards had to extinguish a flare that had been set off by one of the visiting supporters. It was quickly dealt with and the game restarted as normal.

The visitors were now looking the more likely to score again as Lloyd Dyer was prevented from heading in his second by Matt Gilks. Matty Fryatt was the next to go close to sealing the three points for the Foxes.

The Seasiders were now operating with more or less a back two - Stephen Crainey and Alex Baptiste - as they looked to find a way back into the match.

That lifeline came with just one minute of normal time remaining as STEPHEN DOBBIE finally got the better of Chris Weale to rifle the ball into the bottom corner (89).


Five minutes of added time were signalled by the fourth official, and it was Ishmel Demontagnac who could have made himself the hero but the winger blazed over.

It was to prove the best chance of the closing moments - and a bigger blow was to come a minute later when Charlie Adam was booked for what the referee deemed a dive in the penalty area. The yellow card means that the midfielder will now miss the next two league games against Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.

Leicester had a fine goalkeeping performance from Chris Weale to thank for victory.


Attendance: 8,484 (1529 away)

    Latest Match Reports