Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Feb 10 at 22:26 PM

DJ Goal Caps Off 2-0 Win

An injury time goal from DJ Campbell, his first since returning to Blackpool, sealed all three points for Blackpool in a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough.

The Seasiders, who were forced to play with ten men for the last half-hour of the game, had a late penalty save from Matt Gilks to thank for keeping Pool in a position to secure all three points.

Blackpool took the lead in the game through Brett Ormerod after 30 minutes but were left to defend doggedly for the final 30 following the dismissal of Rob Edwards. Matt Gilks smartly saved Scott McDonald's effort from the spot with six minutes remaining before DJ Campbell slotted home after great work from sub Hameur Bouazza in injury-time.

Boro started the game on the front foot, Jeremie Aliadiere having an early chance to try and give Middlesbrough the lead but he took the wrong option to cut inside onto his stronger right foot before losing the ball.

Scott McDonald then looked to open his account for Middlesbrough with a dipping right foot volley but it failed to test Matt Gilks in the Blackpool goal.

Brett Ormerod looked bright and lively in the early stages and saw plenty of the ball for the Seasiders. But it was Charlie Adam who had the first real effort, taking the ball down on his chest following a tame clearance from Stephen McManus and flashing a volley just wide of the post.

There was plenty of interchange between the front three of Gary Taylor-Fletcher, DJ Campbell and Brett Ormerod, with the latter looking very bright against the side managed by his former Southampton gaffer Gordon Strachan. His best chance of the early exchanges came in the 25th minute when he fired just wide from the right.

A great ball from Charlie Adam split the Middlesbrough defence just before the half-hour stage and deserved a goal. It was DJ Campbell who took the ball down and after initially seeing an effort blocked by McManus, the striker fired the rebound just over the bar.

The script though looked written for BRETT ORMEROD and he took centre stage moments later when he latched onto a pass from Gary Taylor-Fletcher and slotted the ball past Danny Coyne (30).


A stray pass from Rob Edwards nearly saw Boro reply within minutes of Ormerod's effort after Jonathan Grounds played in Jeremie Aliadiere. The former Arsenal striker was forced wide with the ball but forced a fine save out of Matt Gilks.

Edwards then made amends for his mistake at the back by forcing a fine fingertip save from Coyne as the Seasiders pushed for goal number two.

The second nearly went to that man Brett Ormerod following some fine passing between Alex Baptiste and Gary Taylor-Fletcher to find him. This time the outstretched feet of Coyne prevented him.


The visitors opted to make a change in time for the second-half by bringing on Julio Arca in place of Jonathan Franks.

The new man was involved in a fine Middlesbrough move that saw Jeremie Aliadiere break clear before being upended by Charlie Adam. The visiting supporters were looking for the midfielder to receive a red card as the last man but referee Mark Haywood issued him with a yellow.

The visitors were starting to stretch the Seasiders at the back a lot more with both Aliadiere and Scott McDonald running the channels. Staying onside was proving the main problem, though.

A Blackpool player was to be red carded in the 61st minute as Rob Edwards was given his marching orders for bringing down Scott McDonald in a tussle for the ball. The referee applied the letter of the law because the defender was deemed the last man.

The Seasiders were now forced into a tactical reshuffle so Andy Butler came on for Gary Taylor-Fletcher and joined Ian Evatt at the heart of the defence.

Boro were now looking to capitalise on the one man advantage but Jeremie Aliadiere's header when clear was never going to find the back of the net.

Gordon Strachan's push for an equaliser now saw him introduce striker Lee Miller in place of Jonathan Grounds.

The Seasiders were still seeing plenty of the ball despite being a man down and the continued efforts of Keith Southern epitomised the character on the field.

Ian Holloway opted to make a double substitution with nine minutes remaining, Hameur Bouazza and Stephen Dobbie replaced David Vaughan and Brett Ormerod.

Middlesbrough were given a lifeline back into the game a minute later however as Barry Robson went down in the area under the challenge of Ian Evatt. Scott McDonald stepped up looking to score his first goal in Boro colours but Matt Gilks pulled off a terrific save down at his right-hand post.

The Seasiders looked set to endure five minutes of injury time in an effort to secure the points but it was made a whole lot easier when Hameur Bouazza raced clear to play in DJ CAMPBELL for an easy tap in from two-yards (90+4). The goal ensured that the Seasiders did the double over Gordon Strachan's side.


Attendance: 7,936 (1,227 visitors)

    Latest Match Reports