Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Mar 10 at 16:45 PM

Burgess Goal Rescues Seasiders

It was advertised as a 'Grand Stand Finish' - and boy did it live up to the pre-match billing.

An 89th minute equaliser from Ben Burgess ensured that the Seasiders came from two goals down to take a share of the spoils against Crystal Palace.

In a game that the home side could have won in added time, it took second-half efforts from Charlie Adam and Blackpool's number nine to bring the team back level.

9,702 fans packed in to Bloomfield Road to see the brand new Armfield Stand officially open and were treated to a game of two-halves, literally.

On a day to celebrate the achievements of a former Blackpool right-back, all eyes were on the player filling those boots against Palace, Seamus Coleman. The Irish under-21 international had agreed a loan move from Everton 24 hours earlier.

Stephen Husband joined him in the line-up to make his first league start in the tangerine colours due to an ankle injury that David Vaughan sustained against Sheffield United.

The honour of scoring the first goal in the new Armfield Stand went to the visitors, Nick Carle managed to scramble the ball over the line after the Seasiders failed to deal with an early Palace throw (3).


As it stood it was the former Blackpool player who worked under Jimmy Armfield's management at Leeds United, Paul Hart, who looked set to grab the headlines.

The Seasiders looked to find an immediate root back into the game but Alex Baptiste's free header from a free-kick flew miles over. A last-ditch Ian Evatt tackle then prevented Nick Carle from getting a second for the visitors.

Bloomfield Road has become quite subdued in the moments after the goal as the Seasiders search for an equaliser. A slightly heavy touch from Stephen Dobbie prevented the Scot from finding that goal on the 20-minute mark.

The chances were starting to come for Blackpool but the latest, a header from Barry Bannan, looped wide of Julian Speroni.

It was the visitors who were to pounce and get a second goal at the Armfield Stand end though as the ball bobbled up for Darren Ambrose to knock the ball through Matt Gilks' legs (33).


The Seasiders were at sixes and sevens at the back and Alan Lee nearly got a quick-fire third for the visitors. Manager Ian Holloway reacted by changing things immediately, Stephen Husband came off and Ben Burgess joined the attack.

Some great defending from Ian Evatt only just prevented Palace from scoring a third, the defender just managed to get a foot to a low cross aimed for the back post.


The start of the second-half now saw the Seasiders kick towards the Armfield Stand as they aimed for a change of fortune - and it worked.

Billy Clarke beat Julian Speroni to the ball in the area, allowing Stephen Dobbie to get the ball and lay it off for CHARLIE ADAM to drill the ball in from the edge of the area (47).


The goal breathed new life into the side and the fans as a truthful team-talk from manager Ian Holloway appeared to do the trick.

An equaliser looked odds-on within minutes of Charlie's strike but somehow Ben Burgess just failed to connect cleanly to Stephen Dobbie's fantastic ball across the box.

Blackpool were now penning the visitors back in their own half in a dominant spell of possession but just couldn't find the final touch.

The lack of a second goal saw Brett Ormerod enter the fray in place of Billy Clarke, the striker taking up his position on the right.

It was an unlikely source who would have the Seasiders' best chance since the one that fell to Ben Burgess though, Ian Evatt forcing a fine save from Speroni with an effort from 20-yards.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher made a return from injury when he replaced Barry Bannan with 15 minutes remaining. The wide-man went agonisingly close with six minutes to go but a deflection just took it past the post and out for a corner.

The Seasiders continued to push in the hope of a late equaliser and it finally came as BEN BURGESS made up for his earlier miss. The striker managed to scramble the ball over the line at the second attempt following a great flick at the back post from Ian Evatt (89).


Four minutes of added time were now signalled by the fourth official as the Seasiders pressed for a dramatic winner. It took another fine save from Julian Speroni to deny Gary Taylor-Fletcher from taking that honour.

Stephen Dobbie and Brett Ormerod then had great efforts saved by Speroni as the Palace goalkeeper secured his side a point.


9,702 (631 away)

    Latest Match Reports