Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 17 Sep 09 at 17:28 PM

Blackpool End Newcastle's Unbeaten Run

Blackpool inflicted Newcastle United to their first Championship defeat with an impressive 2-1 victory at Bloomfield Road.

A sensational performance from the home side saw them recover from the disappointment of an Andy Carroll opener to pick up a valuable three points. Goals from Brett Ormerod and captain Jason Euell were enough to see the Seasiders get the result they deserved.

The Seasiders launched their 'Turn It Tangerine' campaign for the match as every supporter in the home stands welcomed the players onto the field holding aloft pieces of tangerine paper.

Newcastle named a side packed with a wealth of Premier League experience. Former Champions League winner Nicky Butt captained the visitors in a midfield that also contained Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan.

A rampaging run from Charlie Adam was the first bit of action to get the crowd up on their feet. The effort that followed didn't test Steve Harper though and cannoned back off Jason Euell.

It was clear from the offset that the Seasiders were going to have to fight for every ball as the visitors looked to take control of possession. Keith Southern, Charlie Adam and David Vaughan were working overtime in the middle of the park.

A great piece of play from Jason Euell allowed Brett Ormerod to force a fantastic point-blank stop from Steve Harper as the home side settled. Hameur Bouazza later bundled in the back of the net but was ruled offside. Some great tracking back by David Vaughan prevented Andy Carroll from running clear at the other end.

A super 30-yard effort from Charlie Adam came agonisingly close after 17 minutes but his strike just evaded the crossbar. David Vaughan was the next to go for an opener, his flicked shot landing straight into the arms of Harper from close range.

Keith Southern's driven effort on the back of a corner was the next to test Newcastle but a number of defensive bodies managed to deflect the ball out for a corner. The resulting set-play was easily gathered by Harper.

The Seasiders were continuing to dominate proceedings as Hameur Bouazza's stinging effort came back off the palms of the Magpies' keeper. Harper dealt with another strike much better seconds later as Keith Southern hit the ball from distance.

Newcastle weren't to win their first corner until the 36th minute but it was to test the Blackpool defensive line. A combination of Paul Rachubka and Alex Baptiste prevented Fabrizio Coloccini scoring from five-yards out following a flick-on by Andy Carroll. Rachubka was then pressed into action again as Ryan Taylor had another effort.

The action in the Blackpool penalty area seemed to spark the visitors into life as Andy Carroll headed Newcastle into the lead (40). It was an undeserved opener based on the order of play and very harsh on the Seasiders.


David Vaughan looked to give the Seasiders an immediate response right before half-time but Steve Harper did well to gather at the second attempt. The home side were to get a leveller though as Brett Ormerod pounced on a parried Charlie Adam strike to score in injury time (45). It was the first goal the visitors had conceded for five league games.


The goal had definitely given the Seasiders renewed confidence for the second-half as they started on the front foot once more. A great flick from Charlie Adam into the path of Hameur Bouazza forced yet another great save out of Steve Harper.

Newcastle's best hope of finding a second goal was coming from their first scorer, Andy Carroll. The presence of the forward in the air continued to cause Blackpool problems.

Ian Holloway was urging the Seasiders to keep pushing on from the touchline as he made clear his intentions to go for all three points. Both sides were looking to counter each other as Bloomfield Road looked set for an action-packed last half-hour.

The celebrations were to start for the Seasiders minutes later after Jason Euell fired into the roof of the net at the second attempt to grab his first competitive goal for the club (65). Ian Evatt's diving header skimmed across the box from a corner before the captain pounced.


The atmosphere in the ground was electric as every Blackpool fan rose to their feet to chant and sign. Newcastle threw on Geremi to try and change proceedings and he came agonisingly wide five minutes later. Peter Lovenkrands was also introduced from the bench.

Newcastle were pushing forward in numbers as they attempted to preserve their unbeaten start to life in the Championship but the Seasiders remained resolute. Kevin Nolan was virtually a striker for the final 15 minutes.

A stunning strike from Charlie Adam nearly sealed the game for Blackpool with just under 10 minutes remaining. The break in play that followed saw the Seasiders make their first substitutions of the game, Al Bangura and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas for the impressive pair of Hameur Bouazza and Charlie Adam. Joey Barton left to a very vocal reception for the visitors to be replaced by Nile Ranger.

The substitutions helped freshen things up for Blackpool as the home side played out an impressive performance. Nerves did jangle though as Stephen Crainey was forced to clear a late effort off the line during four minutes of added time.


Attendance: 9,647 (1662 away)

    Latest Match Reports