Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 at 17:06 PM

Blackpool 4 Wigan Athletic 1

A great display of attacking football helped Blackpool to a stunning 4-1 victory over Wigan Athletic in the Carling Cup.

The Seasiders, who made seven changes for the game with the Premiership side, guaranteed their place in the next round of the competition following goals from Ishmel Demontagnac, Ben Burgess, Charlie Adam and Gary Taylor-Fletcher. A late consolation from Antonio Amaya for the visitors failed to dampen the mood.

It didn't take long for the Seasiders to open the scoring as ISHMEL DEMONTAGNAC smashed in a powerful drive from outside of the area following a lay-off from Ben Burgess (3). The former Walsall man looked to be heeding the words of the manager in taking his chance to shine.


Such a positive start from the Seasiders ensured that confidence was high as Wigan failed to trouble a resilient Blackpool defence. The likes of Billy Clarke and Brett Ormerod were finding plenty of room to manoeuvre in the Wigan half and were causing the visitors various problems.

Those problems were to be extended for Wigan in the 19th minute as BEN BURGESS beat the offside trap to fire the ball in the same corner as Ishmel Demontagnac did. It was great work from Charlie Adam to thread him through.


Ben Watson looked to hit back immediately for the Latics but his bending free-kick failed to dip under the crossbar. Watson then forced a fine save from Matt Gilks on another free-kick moments later on the left of the box. James McCarthy later struck an effort from distance straight into the arms of Gilks.

The Seasiders saw off the mini-spell of pressure though and put Wigan on the back foot once again. Ishmel Demontagnac, who was having a great first-half, won a free-kick on the edge of the area that Mike Pollitt did well to stop from Stephen Crainey.

Scott Sinclair forced a fine save from Matt Gilks on a Wigan counter before Ishmel Demontagnac hit a stinging effort at goal.

The third goal came in the 32nd minute after Billy Clarke was brought down in the box by Antonio Amaya. CHARLIE ADAM saw his initial effort from the penalty spot saved and then fired in the rebound.


The visitors appeared to be missing the presence of Titus Bramble at the back, while the creativity of Jordi Gomez was badly lacking from their attack. Scott Sinclair appeared to be the only player who was capable of bringing Wigan back in to the match.

One of Wigan's better efforts came right on the stroke of half-time, his effort forcing Matt Gilks down low to save.


The second-half resumed with Matt Gilks producing a fine stop to deny Scott Sinclair from a free-kick as Wigan looked to spark in to life.

With 53 minutes on the clock Ishmel Demontagnac's night was over after he fell awkwardly clutching his hamstring. It was a disappointing end to a sensational performance from the midfielder. Gary Taylor-Fletcher was the man to replace him.

The visitors were seeing more of the ball in the second period but goals were still hard to come by. Matt Gilks got the slightest of touches to prevent Ben Watson from distance once again.

The Seasiders made a double substitution after 62 with Keith Southern and Jason Euell replacing Al Bangura and Ben Burgess. The performance of Bangura certainly strengthened his claim to win a permanent contract. James McCarthey and Mohamed Diame were taken off for Wigan in place of Hugo Rodallega and Hendry Thomas.

The changes didn't stop the flow to the game though as the Seasiders made it four. GARY TAYLOR-FLETCHER picked up the ball on the right from Charlie Adam, turned Antonio Amaya and rifled the ball into the bottom corner (66).


Cries of "We want five" started to ring around Bloomfield Road as Keith Southern tried to get in on the act. Alex Baptiste then had a glaring opportunity to score with a free header following a great corner delivery from Neal Eardley.

The Seasiders looked set to get their fifth when Jason Euell played Brett Ormerod in but Mike Pollitt did well to keep the score as it stood.

A late header from a corner by centre-half Antonio Amaya grabbed Wigan an injury-time consolation but it was the Seasiders who ensured their place in the draw for the third round of the Carling Cup.


Attendance: 8,089 (1,393 away)

    Latest Match Reports