Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 at 16:45 PM

Honours Even At Bloomfield Road

Blackpool were forced to settle for a share of the derby spoils despite a spectacular first-half performance at Bloomfield Road.

An early Billy Clarke goal was cancelled out by a Ross Wallace free-kick to give Preston a point.

The Seasiders got off to a dream start against the Lilywhites when BILLY CLARKE scored what has to be the quickest ever goal in a Lancashire derby with a stunning effort from outside the area (1). 27 seconds had officially passed on the clock.


It could have been two minutes later had it not been for the linesman's flag, Hameur Bouazza turning the ball in.

It was a typically ferocious start to the derby and Preston's Ross Wallace nearly levelled matters, but a great parrying save from Matt Gilks kept the Seasiders in front.

Richard Chaplow was the next player to have an attempt for Preston but his strike was deflected for a corner.

Both sides were playing the game at pace but it was the Seasiders who were moving the ball the better of the two teams. Hameur Bouazza and Charlie Adam were causing the visitors' defence plenty of problems. The first booking of the game went to Billy Jones, the right-back pulling back Bouazza.

A great headed flick-on by Marcel Seip from the resulting free-kick found Ben Burgess in space but he blazed over from 10-yards out. Charlie Adam faired better when he forced a fine save out of Andy Lonergan from the edge of the area. The midfielder followed that up with a dinked effort that just fell wide minutes later.

Preston were slowly finding their feet in the game and started to find themselves in some promising positions, Michael Tonge having the best of the chances.

Billy Clarke came within inches of doubling his and the Seasiders' lead on 36 following a great back-post flick-on from Ian Evatt. Clarke's strike just skimmed the outside of the post.

The game then changed dramatically at the other end as Ross Wallace curled a free-kick into the top corner to equalise (39). Matt Gilks could do nothing about it.


The home side reacted by going ever-so-close to a goal again, this time Billy Clarke hit the crossbar. The striker was unfortunate not to have had a first-half hat-trick.

The fluidity of the Seasiders' play just fell below usual standards somewhat just before half-time, the break probably came at the right time.


The second-half began with a great chance for Charlie Adam to restore Blackpool's lead, a headed flick-on from Ben Burgess dropped perfectly for the Scotland international but he just couldn't keep his effort down. The same applied with a later headed attempt from a corner.

Half of the ground thought that the Seasiders had indeed retaken the lead on 52 after Hameur Bouazza's strike had Andy Lonergan scampering across goal. The ball hit the wrong side of the net - the side netting.

A great stop from Matt Gilks down at the other end prevented Richard Chaplow from giving the Lilywhites the lead before Ben Burgess went agonisingly close for Blackpool.

The strike was to be the last real piece of action for Burgess as he was replaced by Jason Euell just after the hour mark.

Preston's goalscorer Ross Wallace was forced off with a knock six minutes later to be replaced by Paul Parry. The visitors missed a great opportunity to take the lead on 72 when Parry fed Neil Mellor but the striker drilled his attempt over the bar.

Ian Holloway opted to make his second change of the game on 77 with a certain Brett Ormerod coming on in place of goalscorer Billy Clarke. Chances were few and far between though as the Seasiders pushed for a deserved winner.

Barry Bannan came on for his debut with three minutes remaining in place of Charlie Adam but, despite a few flashes, he had little time to make any impact on the game.

The last chance fell of the game to find a winner fell to Ian Evatt but his header landed straight in the arms of Andy Lonergan.


Attendance: 9861 (1652 visitors)

    Latest Match Reports