Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Jan 10 at 18:22 PM

Nine-Man Seasiders Beaten By Ipswich

The Seasiders participation in the FA Cup was halted for another year as they were reduced to nine-men and beaten 2-1 by Ipswich Town.

Second-half dismissals of Ian Evatt and Rob Edwards followed an equaliser from Brett Ormerod, as the visitors then capitalised on the advantage when Owen Garven scored a winner from a free-kick.

The visitors took the lead after just three minutes when midfielder Jack Colback rifled in an effort from the edge of the area (3).


The goal ensured that the Tractor Boys took an early lead against the Seasiders for the second time in the space of three weeks. The Blackpool players seemed off the pace a little in the opening exchanges but started to find their feet on the 10 minute mark, Alex Baptiste heading over from a corner.

A great ball at the other end from Liam Rosenior nearly gave Stern John the opportunity to increase Ipswich's lead, but the presence of Paul Rachubka forced him to snap at his chance and fire wide and over.

Rosenior then became the next player to try for goal and forced Paul Rachubka into a fine save low down. Gary Taylor-Fletcher dragged an effort wide for Blackpool moments later.

The Seasiders were given an opportunity to get back into the game after 25 minutes when Arran Lee-Barrett brought Brett Ormerod down in the box. Charlie Adam stepped up but his strike came smashing back off the post.

Ipswich seemed intent on catching the Seasiders on the counter and had Stern John operating as a lone frontman with Jamie Peters in support.

The visitors were given a mighty scare on 36 when a goalkick hit Jason Euell and narrowly avoided going in the back of the net for an equaliser. Arran Lee-Barrett breathed a huge sigh of relief. Stern John then had an effort ruled out for offside as Ipswich pressed for a second.


The second-half started with the Seasiders in the ascendancy, and it only took five minutes for the home side to level. Ian Evatt found himself in the opposition penalty area and played the ball out to Charlie Adam, the midfielder then drilled the ball across goal for BRETT ORMEROD to head in an equaliser (50).


The joy of the equaliser was to be short-lived though as Ian Evatt, who had been one of the Seasiders' best performers, saw red for bringing down Jack Colback when through on goal. Referee Eddie Ilderton had no option but to apply the letter of the law and reduce Blackpool to ten men as Evo was the last man back.

David Vaughan was the player sacrificed as Ian Holloway looked to shore up the defence by bringing on Rob Edwards.

Young Ipswich substitute Connor Wickham had a great opportunity to put the Tractor Boys ahead again but his header fell straight into the hands of Paul Rachubka. Charlie Adam had Blackpool's best chance at the other end but he volleyed a knock-down wide.

Ipswich started to make their one-man advantage count but a great save from Paul Rachubka somehow prevented Jon Walters from giving the side the lead again. Grant Leadbitter then fired narrowly over from a free-kick as the possession was starting to tell.

Ian Holloway opted to make his second change of the game on 73, Ishmel Demontagnac coming on in place of Jason Euell.

Things went from bad to worse for Blackpool though as substitute Rob Edwards joined Ian Evatt in the changing rooms after he was adjudged to have fouled Jon Walters. Owen Garvan then rifled the resulting free-kick into the bottom corner (77) to put Ipswich back in front. .


The decision to send Rob Edwards off was met with disbelief from the crowd, and manager Ian Holloway was sent to the stands for remonstrating with the fourth official. Gary Taylor-Fletcher was the next player to be sacrificed for Joe Martin to come on. Stephen Crainey moved inside one.

Jack Colback sprung what was left of the Blackpool offside trap but another great stop from Paul Rachubka kept him out. The goalkeeper did the same in injury time, this time preventing Carlos Edwards.

The fourth official indicated four minutes of stoppage time for the Seasiders to try and salvage a reply but the two-man advantage took its toll.


Attendance: 7,332 (588 away)

    Latest Match Reports