Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Jan 10 at 10:05 AM

Blackpool 1 Sheffield Wednesday 2

An injury-time strike from Charlie Adam proved scant consolation as the Seasiders were beaten 2-1 by Sheffield Wednesday at Bloomfield Road.

Second-half goals from Tom Soares and Leon Clarke gave the Owls their second consecutive victory under Alan Irvine and left Blackpool still searching for their first home win of 2010.

Ian Holloway ripped up the usual gameplan and went for plenty of height in attack. Ben Burgess, Daniel Nardiello, Jason Euell and Brett Ormerod all started as the Seasiders looked to keep the visitors pegged back in their own half.

Nardiello, making his first ever league start for Blackpool, came close to opening the scoring for the home side after just eight minutes, his header falling slightly wide of the post.

The formation was literally a 4-2-4 when in possession of the ball, Jason Euell would then drop back into midfield when Wednesday were on the attack.

The set-up was causing the visitors plenty of problems as Ben Burgess and Jason Euell continued to win the majority of headers in the Wednesday half. Alan Irvine's side were looking to use the outlet of Jermaine Johnson on the counter in an attempt to catch the Pool defensive line off-guard. It was Johnson's work out on the right that presented Marcus Tudgay with a chance that went just wide of the post on 16.

At the other end Ian Evatt hit the post after getting on the end of a free-kick before Jermaine Johnson broke again and dragged an effort just wide of Paul Rachubka. The visitors were to be dealt a major blow minutes later though as Johnson pulled his hamstring and had to be substituted for Leon Clarke. His departure was a major boost to the Seasiders as he had continuously posed a threat for the first 20 minutes.

The game was like a cup tie in many respects and had both sets of supporters trying to urge their respective sides on. The confidence that Alan Irvine had instilled into his Sheffield Wednesday team in such a short space of time was evident to see.


Sheffield Wednesday came out the more prominent side in the second-half and almost took the lead through Marcus Tudgay, the striker flicked the ball over Alex Baptiste and fired the ball against the post.

Ian Holloway opted to revert to the usual formation just before the hour and brought on Keith Southern and Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Jason Euell and Daniel Nardiello were the players to leave the field.

The substitutions lifted the tempo of the Seasiders' play and the vocal support from the crowd. Keith Southern's impact was almost immediate as he went agonisngly close with a strike from the edge of the area.

Pressure was starting to build on Wednesday as they started to become pegged back in their own half defending cross after cross. Despite that it was Sheffield Wednesday who were to take the lead, midfielder Tom Soares worked himself into space just outside of the box and curled the ball into the top corner (71).


The Seasiders reacted by bringing on Barry Bannan in place of David Vaughan but the visitors weren't planning to sit back. Leon Clarke put the ball into the net but luckily for the Seasiders the linesman had his flag up for offside.

Pool were now pushing everyone forward in an attempt to find the equaliser but long range efforts from Barry Bannan and Neal Eardley failed to test Lee Grant.

Clear-cut chances were hard to come by but somehow Lee Grant thwarted Gary Taylor-Fletcher from point blank range with seven minutes remaining.

That moment was to prove crucial for the Seasiders as Tommy Spurr's free-kick was then glanced in by Leon Clarke to extend the visitors' lead (84).


The Seasiders continued to press as they looked to find a way back in the game, an injury time effort from Charlie Adam pulled one back but that was to be the last of the action.


Attendance: 8007 (988 away)

    Latest Match Reports