Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 10 at 21:07 PM

Last-Ditch Brett Goal Seals Dramatic Vic

An incredible last minute super-show ensured that the Seasiders came back from behind to secure a dramatic 3-2 victory over Watford at Bloomfield Road.

A 91st minute strike from Brett Ormerod capped off an amazing turnaround, with a sensational goalkeeping performance from Watford keeper Scott Loach looking to have given the visitors all three points.

The home side were 2-1 down with one minute of normal time remaining before quick-fire goals from Keith Southern and Brett Ormerod ensured that the Seasiders won at home for the first time since November 7.

It was the visitors who started the game on the front foot, Heidar Helguson being flagged for offside inside the first minute. But it was the Seasiders who had the best opportunity to score, Charlie Adam's header was superbly saved by Scott Loach who dashed across his goal to fingertip the ball away for a corner.

The keeper was called upon again minutes later, this time tipping over a looping header from Keith Southern. Both stops highlighted why Loach has been touted as a potential England number one in years to come.

Watford looked to reassert their opening pressure but Heidar Helguson snapped at his effort and dragged the ball wide of the post.

It was fast becoming the Scott Loach show as the Watford goalkeeper prevented Keith Southern again from distance, but a cross moments later dropped down off CHARLIE ADAM'S head for him to then poke the ball home and score (17).


The Seasiders were now pushing forward in an attempt for a quick-fire second but Neal Eardley's free-kick flew wide.

Watford were level 10 minutes later though, Heidar Helguson worked his way in from the left and pulled the ball back for Henri Lansbury to score (27).


The fog was now starting to drift somewhat inside Bloomfield Road as both sides looked to find the ascendancy. Keith Southern, who could have had an earlier brace had it not been for Scott Loach, saw his latest effort flash wide of the goal. But chances were few and far between prior to the Hornets' equaliser.


The second-half began with the next instalment of the Scott Loach show, the keeper preventing Neal Eardley first time around and then recovering to stop Brett Ormerod at point-blank range.

Watford made their first substitution just six minutes into the restart as Jon Harley replaced Don Cowie. The visitors were nearly caught off-guard though as the Seasiders countered from a corner and had two players supporting Barry Bannan with only Lloyd Doyley in defence. An early cross from Bannan looked to tee up Charlie Adam to score but his touch failed him at the last moment.

The game was now opening up for both sides and Watford had their opportunities to score but Paul Rachubka thwarted Tom Cleverley and Henri Lansbury.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher was then presented with a great opportunity to try and put Pool back in front after Adrian Mariappa failed to clear his lines but the striker fired wide.

A great one-two between David Vaughan and Charlie Adam deserved nothing less than a goal but Vaughan's drilled effort came agonisingly close. The Seasiders were now upping the tempo though with Watford piling everybody but Heidar Helguson behind the ball. Dale Bennett came on in place of Lee Hodson.

Another great exchange between Charlie Adam and David Vaughan saw the Welshman race clear into the box once again but Scott Loach was there to save the day for Watford again.

The gaps were now starting to appear in the Watford midfield as the Blackpool trio of Keith Southern, David Vaughan and Charlie Adam started to impose themselves on the game. The latter forced yet another save out of Scott Loach from 20-yards out.

The Seasiders opted to introduce Ben Burgess and Ishmel Demontagnac from the bench in the 75th minute as they looked to capitalise on possession. Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Barry Bannan were the players to be withdrawn.

It was Watford who were to find the breakthrough though as a neat one-two between Hanri Lansbury and Tom Cleverley cut the Blackpool defence open for the on-loan Manchester United man to give the visitors the lead (79).


The goal didn't prevent Watford from sticking to a planned substitution as former Seasider Danny Graham replaced Henri Lansbury.

Brett Ormerod then became the latest Blackpool player to be stopped by Scott Loach as the keeper effectively named himself man of the match.

The goalkeeper was to be beaten as time ticked away though as Watford appealed for offside. KEITH SOUTHERN, at the second attempt, brought Blackpool back level (89).


The adrenaline was now pumping through the side as the players made it clear that a point was not enough. Substitute Daniel Nardiello found space out on the left and found BRETT ORMEROD in the six-yard box to deal Watford a massive sucker punch and give the Seasiders all three points (90+1).


Attendance: 6,855 (346 away)

    Latest Match Reports