Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 20 Oct 10 at 16:44 PM


Manchester City left Blackpool still searching for their first home win of the season as they ran out 3-2 winners at Bloomfield Road, in a thrilling game.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway named an unchanged eleven from the win at Anfield a fortnight ago as the Seasiders went in search of their first win at Bloomfield Road this season.

They did so against a Manchester City side enjoying a fine start to the campaign that sees the Citizens sitting above local rivals Manchester United in the league table.

Adopting a 4-4-2 formation, with Emmanuel Adebayor partnering Carlos Tevez in attack, City created the first opening of the half as the Argentine turned sharply down the right-hand side of the box and slid a dangerous cross-shot along Matthew Gilks' six-yard box.

It was then the turn of Adam Johnson, impressive for England midweek, to go close.

The winger ran towards Stephen Crainey at pace down the right flank before cutting in on his favoured left foot and firing a fierce swerving effort that Gilks did well to tip over the bar.

Having weathered the visitors' early blows, Blackpool set about throwing some punches of their own, with DJ Campbell going close on the eight -minute mark.

Breaking with the ball from the half-way line, with Wayne Bridge and Jerome Boateng retreating towards goal, the striker was unfortunate to see his effort drift just wide.

With the game finely balanced, it was Blackpool who looked the more likely to open the scoring.

Luke Varney, the hero in the defeat of Liverpool two weeks ago, was a constant menace, running at the beleaguered Boateng time and again.

And with 21 minutes on the clock, the loan-star combined well with Campbell before fizzing a left-foot shot just wide of Hart's goal.

In an entertaining spell, it was the turn of the Eastlands outfit to go close, as Adebayor headed wastefully wide, just six-yards out after Boateng's pin-point delivery.

Although threatening in attack, City's defence appeared susceptible to pace, particularly down out wide, with Stephen Crainey and Varney enjoying time and space with every attack.

And it was that combination who conspired to provide Campbell with another decent opportunity on 33 minutes.

The pair, developing a potent partnership, combined to allow Crainey to swing over a perfect left-wing cross that was met by Campbell's glancing header, but he could only nod wide.

Both sides emerged unchanged for the second-half, but it was Blackpool who seized control in the opening 20 minutes.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher freed Varney down the left -wing with a lofted through ball and as Lescott and Kompany ball-watched, the 28-year old laid the ball inside to Campbell.

The striker took a majestic first touch but with Hart advancing off his line, the striker side-footed wide of the right-hand post.

Adam then stung the palms of the keeper with a venomous strike from the edge of the area shortly before Neil Eardley forced a fantastic diving save from England's number one, with a low drive.

But with the wind in the Tangerines' sales, the Blues took the lead against the run of play as Tevez produced a moment of magic to back heel David Silva's cross past the despairing Gilks.

City could smell blood and went in search of a killer second goal as Milner saw his curling right-foot effort cannon back off the woodwork.

With the Seasiders' prospects looking increasingly bleak, they hit back through Marlon Harewood's glancing header from Adam's brilliant set-piece.

But in a fashion typical of their previous two home encounters, Blackpool were caught in the moment as City took the lead for a second time through Tevez.

Ian Evatt was caught in possession on the edge of the area and City's captain touched the ball on to his left-foot and fired into the left-hand corner, although the shot appeared to take a deflection off Craig Cathcart.

Silva then capped a fine cameo with the visitors' third, jinking past Crainey and then Vaughan inside the box before clipping a delicate left-foot shot inside the left-hand post to cue manic celebrations from the travelling away support.

There was still time for Taylor-Fletcher to make it 3-2 with a close-range consolation deep into added on time, but Roberto Mancini's men held on to clinch the three points.

    Latest Match Reports