Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 at 19:27 PM


Blackpool have arrived in the Barclays Premier League in style, firing four past Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

Newboy Marlon Harewood struck twice with Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Alex Baptise scoring the others.

The travelling Tangerine army were loud throughout as Ollie's men gave them plenty to be excited about.

The Seasiders attacked from the off and won an early corner when Elliot Grandin showed a quick turn of pace down the left and continued to attack the Latics.

A moment of uncertainty saw the ball bobble across the front of goal with neither Brett Ormerod or Gary Taylor-Fletcher being able to get a foot to the ball.

Matt Gilks was called into action five minutes later when Hugo Rodallega struck from 18 yards but it was straight into the hands of the Blackpool 'keeper.

The home side began to build momentum and attack the Pool goal. Gilks was called into action again when former Crystal Palace man Victor Moses' goalbound effort was denied.

But Pool were not to be deterred and continued to show the battling attitude they displayed throughout last season.

Marlon Harewood prevented the ball from going out of play, crossing for Charlie Adam who just couldn't get on the end of it.

Harewood refused to sit back though and executed a perfect ball to Taylor-Fletcher in the box who poked home from six yards, sending the sea of Tangerine in the North stand into raptures (16).


Taylor-Fletcher had the ball in the net again minutes later but the linesman's flag spoiled the fun.

Pool remained composed throughout the first half, dominating in midfield; Adam and David Vaughan conducting some superb passing moves.

Things got better though when Harewood was simply given far too much time on the ball on the edge of the box and struck a sweet strike, doubling Pool's lead (37).


The Seasiders just continued to attack though, refusing to sit back on their lead. Elliot Grandin was instrumental in opening up the play.

Wigan just weren't allowed to get a look in as the Seasiders oozed Premier League quality.

And life got a little bit better just before the break. Grandin darted into the box but his shot was stopped by Kirkland. Harewood was on hand to ensure he had a debut to remember though, tapping in the rebound (43) as Pool went into half time cruising.


The home side made two changes at the interval; Emmerson Boyce and Mohamed Diame being replaced by Ronnie Stam and Hendry Thomas.

Thomas had the ball in the net two minutes into the half but the linesman's flag was raised and Pool kept hold of their lead.

The Latics started to attack more, testing the Tangerine defence who remained solid.

Ludovic Sylvestre was handed his debut on the hour mark, replacing Brett Ormerod and much like Grandin was constantly looking to win back possesion and create openings.

Despite the second half being much more even, the Seasiders still attacked when they could, showing no fear whatsoever.

Latics striker Mauro Boselli had two chances in quick succession with just over 20 minutes remaining. After having his initial effort palmed away by Gilks, he struck the post with a fine header from the resulting corner.

Pool just wouldn't lie back though as a Chris Kirkland error helped the dream start to the season get even better as Baptiste's cross-shot dipped over his head (75).


As before though, it wasn't a case of sitting back - the Seasiders continued to attack and could have made it five but Chris Kirkland got in the way of substitute Euell's strike.

And they hung on to their remarkable lead, sending a strong message to the rest of the Barclays Premier League - Blackpool are back.

A DVD of this fantastic game and momentus day can be purchased for just £4.99 by clicking here.

    Latest Match Reports