Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 04 Oct 10 at 10:07 AM


A tremendous display of attacking and counter-attacking football saw Blackpool pull off a 2-1 win at Anfield against Liverpool.

Goals from Charlie Adam (penalty) and Luke Varney put the Seasiders 2-0 up before Liverpool rallied in the second-half through Sotirios Kyrgiakos.

The Seasiders started at an exceptional pace and displayed their full array of pass and move football in the opening 20 minutes.

The first chance of the game fell to Charlie Adam after just two minutes following a foul on DJ Campbell just outside the area. The midfielder stepped forward to take the resulting free-kick and forced a fine parrying save out of Pepe Reina.

Liverpool looked to exploit the ball remaining in play by countering, with Joe Cole agonisingly close to connecting to a fizzed effort across the box from Fernando Torres.

Blackpool were dominating possession however and saw Stephen Crainey flash an effort just wide. DJ Campbell then came close to scoring on the back of a great ball from Neal Eardley down the right.

In between both chances the home side were forced into an early change, Fernando Torres leaving the field for David Ngog. The Seasiders then had to use a substitution themselves, Craig Cathcart trudging off to be replaced by Dekel Keinan with 20 minutes on the clock.

Matt Gilks had to be at his best to claw out a scrambling touch from Joe Cole at the far post before the Seasiders' dominance finally paid off.

Referee Mike Jones pointed to the spot after Glen Johnson brought down striker Luke Varney in the area. CHARLIE ADAM stepped up and rifled the ball into the bottom right corner to give Blackpool the lead (29).


Anxiety was creeping in at Anfield as the home support tried to rally their team on to find an equaliser. Glen Johnson found space to do just that but fired high and wide when inside the area.

The goal appeared to bring Liverpool to life a little as Dirk Kuyt became the latest player to see an effort saved by Matt Gilks. The goalkeeper was in the way again moment later when Joe Cole opened fire from 18-yards.

Things got worse for Liverpool in first-half added time as Gary Taylor-Fletcher clipped the ball through the home defence for LUKE VARNEY to smash in (45+1)


Ian Holloway opted to make his second change of the game for the start of the second-half by introducing Matt Phillips for Neal Eardley. The winger, fresh from his debut goal against Blackburn Rovers, slotted in at right-back once again.

Liverpool started the half brighter and saw David Ngog head wide following good play down the left from Dirk Kuyt.

The home side did pull a goal back shortly after, Sotirios Krygiakos climbing highest to reach a Steven Gerrard free-kick and head the ball into the roof of the net (53).


The goal really lifted both players and crowd as Liverpool continued to attack towards the Kop. Portuguese midfielder Raul Merieles kept finding pockets of space on the edge of the box and had two decent attempts.

The best attempt fell to the feet of Joe Cole however as he latched on to a through ball and fired narrowly wide of the post. With the home side now in the ascendancy forward Milan Jovanovic replaced defensive midfielder Christian Poulsen.

Blackpool responded by bringing on Keith Southern in place of Frenchman Elliot Grandin.

It was the midfielder who set the Seasiders on a great counter as Luke Varney raced clear before trying to tee-up DJ Campbell. The Seasiders were definitely going to keep get chances with the game becoming stretched.

Luke Varney had two decent chances for Blackpool as his pace continued to cause plenty of problems for the Liverpool defence.

At the other end Matt Gilks had to be at his best to deny a Dirk Kuyt header from finding the back of the net.

Three minutes of added time were signalled as Liverpool fans continued to head for the exits. The home side commited men forward in their numbers but the Seasiders held firm, with Matt Gilks pulling off a last-gasp super save to deny Kyrgiakos another.


Attendance: 43,156

    Latest Match Reports