Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Feb 17 at 21:55 PM

Report: Blackpool 2 Barnet 2

Goals from Nathan Delfouneso and Kyle Vassell earned a point for The Seasiders as they fought back from two goals down.

A dramatic injury time equaliser from substitute Vassell made sure the spoils were shared, after Delfouneso brought Pool back into the game.

An early goal from John Akinde gave the visitors the lead, and a Charlie Clough goal just after half-time doubled the lead.

Blackpool took their turn to come back from two goals down, after being on the other end of comebacks in recent weeks, but have dropped points in their promotion push.

It was a quite start to the first-half, in truth, with both sides trying to settle into game. Unfortunately for Pool though, it was Barnet who were to strike first on 13 minutes. The Bees’ top scorer Akinde was on hand to score from two yards out into an empty net as a deflected shot left Dean Lyness, who came in to replace the injured Sam Slocombe, helpless after hitting the post.

Brad Potts was to have Blackpool’s first effort minutes later, but shot high and wide after a set-piece was headed clear to him on the edge of the Barnet area.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Gary Bowyer’s side carved open a glorious chance to equalise. Fine work from attacking duo Jamille Matt and Delfouneso led to Colin Daniel being slipped in on the left of the visitors’ box. Daniel shot low and hard across the goalkeeper, but was inches away from finding the net.

Akinde almost made it two five minutes before the break. His solo run ended with him dragging his effort wide of Lyness’ goal.

At the other end, Blackpool again almost equalised as the game started to open up. A whipping left-footed free-kick from Jordan Flores looked destined to fly into the top corner from 25 yards. Only a spectacular one handed save by Harry Burgoyne could prevent a goal for the midfielder, though.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Barnet 1

The second half started in the worst possible manner for The Seasiders, going a goal down in just over a minute. An early set-piece was curled in and right-back Clough was free to nod home.

A low-socked Ruben Bover nearly made it three in quick-fire fashion, but his strike from outside the area fizzed just wide of the mark for the visitors.

Striker Matt twice tried to respond quickly for Pool with two headers on goal, both could only find the hands of Bees ‘keeper Burgoyne, however.

Blackpool kept trying to claw their way back into the game, though, and with just under an hour gone, they finally found a breakthrough. Delfouneso’s calm and composed first-time finish got the Tangerines back into the match after playing a one-two with Daniel on the edge of the Barnet box.

With 20 minutes to go, Bowyer made a double substitution in order find the elusive equaliser. Vassell and Armand Gnanduillet entered the pitch to replace Potts and Matt.

The two subs quickly linked up as the French big man nodded down to Vassell in the area, though Blackpool’s top scorer was flagged offside by the official.

Pool’s final change was made as Bright Osayi-Samuel was brought on for skipper Andy Taylor, and he was next to test the Barnet goalkeeper, but again could only find his arms.

Delfouneso then let one fly from 25 yards after some skilful play in the middle, he was frustratingly a foot away from finding the target, however.

Just as five minutes were added on, Blackpool’s pressure finally paid off. Vassell prodded home his 10th league goal of the season after Clark Robertson’s header rebounded off the post.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Barnet 2

By Pete McCarthy

    Latest Match Reports