Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

17 March 2018 Venue Bloomfield Road Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Southend United 1

Robertson Equaliser Sees Pool Draw

17 March 2018

Clark Robertson’s third goal of the season saw Blackpool come back from behind for a point in a 1-1 draw with Southend United.

The defender struck in first-half added time to cancel out an early opener from visiting striker Marc Antoine Fortune.

Danny Philliskirk, who replaced Nathan Delfouneso as a first-half substitute against Charlton in midweek, was the only change to the starting line-up, while Max Clayton made an appearance on the bench.

It was almost the perfect start for Blackpool, who would have been in front immediately had it not been for Sean Longstaff’s strike rattling the crossbar. The on-loan Newcastle United man found space inside the area and was unfortunate not to convert from Viv Solomon-Otabor’s pass.

The visitors quickly responded to that warning, though, and took the lead in the 11th minute. Anthony Wordsworth’s free-kick came back off the post and was bundled in on the rebound by Marc Antoine-Fortune.

The visitors created a good opportunity to double their advantage minutes later, however Stephen McLaughlin nodded Ben Coker’s cross wide at the back post.

By the half-hour mark Southend were a little fortunate to find themselves still with 11 men on the field. Simon Cox, on a booking, caught Curtis Tilt late but only received a warning from the referee.

Joe Lumley was called into action to keep the score the deficit at just the one goal, with the on-loan QPR man at full stretch to push away a strike from Antoine Fortune.

With time ticking away prior to the interval, Clark Robertson found the net in added time to bring Blackpool level. The defender was quick to react after Danny Philliskirk’s effort was saved to score his third of the season.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Southend United 1

A fine double save from visiting ‘keeper Mark Oxley denied Sean Longstaff and then Kyle Vassell from giving Blackpool the lead shortly after the restart, as The Seasiders looked to firmly turn things around.

Vassell then had an opportunity from a tight angle when Jay Spearing nodded a clearance back into the danger area. Unfortunately, Pool’s number seven couldn’t keep his effort on target.

The Seasiders continued to press and see more and more of the ball in the opposition’s half, with Southend looking to utilise substitute Theo Robinson’s pace on the counter attack.

Colin Daniel did well to read the play and intercept the ball 35-yards out from goal with 15 minutes remaining, however his strike from distance flew just wide.

Kyle Vassell then had another attempt from an acute angle but was once again denied by Southend ‘keeper Mark Oxley.

That opportunity proved to be Kyle Vassell’s last bit of action, as manager Gary Bowyer brought on Dan Agyei for the striker. Armand Gnanduillet also replaced Sean Longstaff.

Though dominant, Blackpool were fortunate not to find themselves behind with six minutes to go. Southend right-back Jason Demetriou burst forward and watched his strike cannon back off the post prior to being cleared away.

In the end, both sides were left to settle for a share of the spoils.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Southend United 1 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block