Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

13 February 2021 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Blackpool U18
4 - 2
Carlisle United U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Academy Report: Blackpool 4 Carlisle United 2

13 February 2021

The youth team made it ten wins on the spin in another impressive win in the EFL Youth Alliance on Saturday, as they claimed a 4-2 victory over second placed Carlisle United.

A flying start by the Seasiders saw Tayt Trusty open the scoring, but Danny Ventre’s men were pegged back soon after, as Dylan Garvey and Sam Fishburn put Carlisle ahead.

James Harrison equalised after some superb work from Rob Apter before Brad Holmes and Luke Mariette went on to seal the three points and make it ten wins in a row to sit firmly at the top of the table.

Blackpool started lively and on the front foot, pressing Carlisle at every given opportunity. Then, a loose ball into the area was charged down by Holmes and as he got a toe to the ball, his feet were taken from under him, though the referee waved play on.

However, the pressure paid off just three minutes later. Apter’s cross into the area skidded just under Holmes’ foot, but right behind him was Tayt Trusty, who smashed the ball past Scott Simmons.

Apter was involved in all the action right from the off. This time, he picked the ball up on the right and sprayed a delightful ball to James Harrison on the left. He cut back to Holmes, whose left-footed shot whistled just past the post.

Carlisle, against the run of play, equalised just two minutes later through Garvey, whose strike found a gap under Charlie Monks’ body and into the net.

Then six minutes later, the visitors had another. A cross from the right evaded everyone but Fishburn at the back post, who had the simple task of heading in from close range.

The Seasiders went sniffing again. Jack Moore’s corner was met by the rising Michael Fitzgerald, but he headed over.

As the visitors looked in control, a lapse in concentration allowed Apter to capitalize and cross in towards Harrison in the six-yard box, and without hesitation, he struck past Simmons.

Half-time: Blackpool 2 Carlisle United 2

Danny Ventre fired his side up at the break, and he got his players on the front foot the moment the whistle was blown.

A short corner was played into Apter, who helped it onto Holmes on the edge of the area, but Simmons held well from the striker's deflected effort.

Moore then fancied his chances from distance when the ball sat up perfectly for a volley 35-yards from goal, though Simmons was there to deny him.

The Seasiders were probing. Apter found himself in on goal, but as blue shirts swarmed around him, he struck over the bar.

However, that didn’t matter, as Holmes grabbed a goal from nowhere. The number nine worked the ball between him and Apter before driving in from the left and striking from distance, leaving Simmons helpless as he dived to his right.

DJ Taylor tried to find a way back into the game for the visitors, however, Monks was equal to his effort and kept him out.

Just as the game looked like it was coming to an end, Mariette put the icing on the cake. The ball fell to him on the edge of the area, and with time on his side, he calmly guided an effort into the far corner.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4-2 Carlisle United

Blackpool: Monks, Moore, Wood, Fitzgerald, Squires, Strawn, Trusty, Apter, Mariette, Harrison, Holmes.

Unused subs: McLachlan, Tshola, Goumou, Matshazi, Penman.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block