Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 10:30 (UK)

06 February 2021 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 10:30 (UK)

Blackpool U18
4 - 2
Fleetwood Town U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Blackpool 4 Fleetwood Town 2

7 February 2021

The youth team extended their winning run to nine games and went three points clear at the top of the table in the North West Youth Alliance on Saturday, thanks to a 4-2 win over Fleetwood Town.

A Brad Holmes hat-trick and a second goal in three games for Prince Yelegon saw the young Seasiders run out winners.

Despite Josh Feeney levelling matters soon after Holmes’ first, and Danny Edwards striking on the stroke of full-time, Danny Ventre’s side held on comfortably.

Rob Apter got his side on the front foot early on, as he tried to beat Connor Eastham from just outside the area, though the Fleetwood Town ‘keeper watched his effort fly over the bar.

However, the Seasiders weren’t kept quiet for long, with Holmes latched onto Jak Wood’s pinpoint cross to nod past Eastham.

Although the game started at a fast pace, both sides settled, and no real chances were created.

On the 20-minute mark, the game sparked into life again. The Seasiders cleared a dangerous corner but only to the feet of Jake Wallace, who fizzed a shot wide of Monks’ post from just outside the 18-yard box.

Two minutes later, Fleetwood pulled level. Another dangerous corner from the visitors was met by Josh Feeney, who powerfully headed into the far corner.

Ventre’s side had to pick themselves up and find that spark once more, which they did six minutes later. Yelegon - who was starting his third consecutive game after a string of impressive performances - was rewarded just before the half hour mark.  

The Cod Army defence passed their way into trouble on the edge of their own area; Luke Mariette picked up the loose pass and played it first time to Holmes, who slid Yelegon in on goal to smash past Eastham.

Just minutes before the break, the visitors had a free-kick in the final third, but that came to nothing and the Seasiders went in at the break a goal to the good.

Half-time: Blackpool 2-1 Fleetwood Town

Apter - like in the first-half - decided to test Eastham from range, but he stood firm and held well in the early stages of the second period.

The goals then filtered through, with Holmes grabbing his second of the game, picking up a bouncing ball and rounding Eastham.

Fleetwood wouldn’t go away, and they were still looking for a way back into the game. Covy Smith was played through on goal by Edwards but could only find the strong palms of Monks with his strike.

An end-to-end game presented Holmes with a hat-trick opportunity, but Eastham had other ideas, denying him from six-yards out.

Town ventured forward again, and the ball found its way to Joe Collins, though he couldn’t find a way through the Blackpool bodies that were flying left, right and centre.

There were just five minutes left on the clock, and when Holmes is in the mood, nothing can stop him. Apter worked his way into the box well to cross into the danger zone, the ball fell to Holmes, whose ferocious volley rippled the net for Blackpool’s fourth.

With the game looking done and dusted, Edwards had other ideas, slotting past Monks to give his side nothing more than a consolation goal.

Full-time: Blackpool 4-2 Fleetwood Town

Blackpool: Monks, Moore, Wood, Sinclair, Fitzgerald (89’ Penman), Strawn (87’ Tshola) Apter, Trusty (87’ Squires), Holmes (89’ Harrison), Mariette, Yelegon.

Unused subs: McLachlan.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block