Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 10:30 (UK)

21 November 2020 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 10:30 (UK)

Blackpool U18
3 - 1
Tranmere Rovers U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Academy Report: Blackpool 3 Tranmere Rovers 1

23 November 2020

Danny Ventre’s men secured all three points in the North West Youth Alliance on Saturday, after goals from Rob Apter and Brad Holmes made it five unbeaten for the under 18’s.

Fresh from first-team duty, Apter made no mistake from 25-yards out when his deflected shot found the bottom corner to give the Seasiders the lead.

After the break, Holmes wanted in on the act, firing a shot from distance past Ben Jones. Moments later, Jamie Timlin struck to halve the deficit, but Apter made sure of the three points 30 minutes from time with a stunning strike into the top corner.

Before the game started, both sets of players and staff observed a minute’s applause impeccably in memory of Academy Manager, Warren Green.

Tranmere got the ball rolling at a wet and windy Myerscough College. The Seasiders quickly gained possession and had an early penalty shout in the opening five minutes, however, the referee waved away the loud protests from the Blackpool players.

Timlin went close just 15 minutes into the game, but Charlie Monks was on hand to deny him from close range.

Apter was causing problems down the right flank as he twisted and turned his way into the area to flash a ball across the face of goal, which Tranmere cleared instantly.

Rovers looked to stamp their mark on the game when Dimi Rhami attempted a bicycle kick from 12-yards out, but his effort went just over Monks’ crossbar.

However, just two minutes later, Apter fired the Tangerines ahead. Drifting in from the right, he unleashed a low driven shot towards goal. As it travelled, the ball took a deflection off a Tranmere shirt and flew into the back of the net.

Blackpool were starting to find their Rhythm as Holmes twice went close. First, his powerful volley whistled past Jones’ post, before Perez Goumou delivered a superb cross on a plate, though Holmes could only head wide from six-yards out.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1-0 Tranmere Rovers

Goumou started the half just like he finished it, crossing another terrific ball to the back post, this time finding Apter, who couldn’t quite get a strong enough touch to direct it goalwards.

This made Blackpool hungry for more, and more they had. A quick, slick, sharp passage of play allowed Tayt Trusty to play a lovely one touch pass to Holmes on the left wing, he cut inside, taking several touches before striking towards goal, beating Jones with sheer power at the near post.

The visitors weren’t going away. Timlin squeezed his way through the Seasiders defence and slotted past Monks to give the Whites a glimmer of hope.

A glimmer it was, though, as Apter hit a contender for Goal of The Month. Holmes’ cross found its way to Apter on the edge of the area, he shifted the ball onto his left foot and curled a beautiful shot past Jones and into the top corner.

Again, Tranmere thought there was a way back into the game as Ollie Duncan found space in the six-yard box, but his shot went well wide of Monks’ post.

Substitute, Bunmi Babajide nearly added a second for Tranmere, fizzing a shot inches wide.

The game had time for one last piece of heroics from Monks. Michael Quinn was set free in behind the Blackpool defence, but Monks fiercely rushed out to prevent the striker from adding to Rovers’ tally.

Blackpool 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

Blackpool: Monks, Goumou (Turner 63’), Moore, Sinclair, Fitzgerald, Liptrott, Apter, Trusty, Bange (Harrison 77’), Mariette (Rogers 87’), Holmes.

Unused subs: McLachlan, Yelegon.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block