Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Middlesbrough 4 Blackpool 2

29 December 2012

Seasiders Suffer Defeat At Riverside

Blackpool suffered their second defeat in three games as they went down 4-2 to Middlesbrough in the final game of 2012.

The Seasiders were second best for large parts of the first-half and left themselves a tall order in the second period as they went in 2-0 down at the break.

Thomas Ince could have made it 3-3 but he saw his penalty well saved with ten minutes remaining.

Middlesbrough enjoyed a lot of possession in the opening exchanges and won several corners early on, which The Seasiders dealt with well.

Blackpool's first attempt came when Wes Thomas manoeuvred himself into a yard of space on the edge of the area only to see his effort deflect wide.

As Blackpool looked to get a grip on proceedings they fell behind when Ishmael Miller rose highest to glance home a left-wing corner.


Soon after the goal the home side were forced into an early change when Justin Hoyte went down injured and had to be replaced by Stuart Parnaby at right-back.

The goal settled Boro down and they were the more comfortable side with the ball, with both Miller and Marvin Emnes looking dangerous.

Ince had a half-chance when a corner was cleared to the edge of the area, but the winger struck his volley over the crossbar.

On 35 minutes Boro doubled their lead when Richard Smallwood ran onto a through ball and fired the ball home past Matt Gilks.


Immediately after the goal Angel Martinez came on to replace Nathan Delfouneso as Michael Appleton look for a fresh impetus in a game where The Seasiders had been second best for large parts.

The half-time whistle came with Tony Mowbray's side firmly in the driving seat.


Appleton's side started the second-half stronger and looked more cohesive as they strung some good passing moves together without troubling Jason Steele in the Boro goal.

On 59 minutes The Seasiders got the goal that their early second-half performance deserved when Thomas latched onto Taylor-Fletcher's pass and fired his shot hard and low past Steele.

GOAL: Middlesbrough 2-1 BLACKPOOL

Just minutes later The Seasiders lost possession high up the pitch and Scott McDonald was able to run through the middle before unleashing a fearsome shot from 25 yards out into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.


Chris Basham almost got Pool back in the game immediately but his long range drive flew just past Steele's left-hand post.

As the game entered the final 20 minutes the home side started to look more comfortable again as Blackpool struggled to make any real inroads into Middlesbrough's final third.

Then with 15 minutes to go Basham got his first goal of the season and Blackpool's second of the afternoon when he pounced on a loose ball from Crainey's corner and fired in from eight yards.

GOAL: Middlesbrough 3-2 BLACKPOOL

With 11 minutes to go Blackpool were given a chance to get back on level terms when Taylor-Fletcher was tugged down in the box. Ince stepped up to take the penalty but saw his spot-kick saved by Steele low down to the keeper's right.

Heading into the final stages Blackpool looked to throw everything at Boro and almost got back level fortuitously as Kirk Broadfoot's cross was glanced into the side netting by Andy Halliday.

Middlesbrough then put the game out of sight when Adam Reach fired a low shot in off the post from the edge of the box.



Advertisement block