Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Crystal Palace 2 Blackpool 2

8 December 2012

Seasiders Remain Unbeaten Under Michael Appleton

Michael Appleton's unbeaten run as Blackpool manager continued thanks to goals from Nathan Delfouneso and a late Nouha Dicko strike.

The Seasiders dominated the first 45 minutes but a resurgent Crystal Palace after the break turned the game around only for Dicko to find the net in the 89th minute.

It was a lively start from Blackpool with Craig Cathcart heading over from a corner and Isaiah Osbourne dragging a shot wide from just inside the area; both inside the opening four minutes.

Wes Thomas then acrobatically volleyed wide after some good work from Nathan Delfouneso down the left flank.

Blackpool continued to dominate proceedings in the opening 25 minutes but never troubled Julian Speroni in the Crystal Palace goal despite getting into some good areas.

The first shot on target eventually came on 26 minutes, but for the home side; Wilfried Zaha got beyond Stephen Crainey only to shoot straight at Matt Gilks from a tight angle.

The Eagles then started to enjoy a bit more possession but were sloppy with it and it was Thomas who almost reaped the awards but he sliced his shot high and wide.

On 37 minutes Appleton's side took a deserved lead when Nathan Delfouneso nodded in Thomas Ince's teasing cross at the back post.

GOAL: Crystal Palace 0-1 BLACKPOOL

Huge credit has to go to Alex Baptiste who won possession back for Pool inside the centre-circle with a terrific sliding challenge.

Blackpool almost doubled their lead minutes later but Thomas' header from the Delfouneso's cross went narrowly wide with Speroni rooted to the spot.

Palace could have given brought things level when Damian Delaney rose highest from a corner only to see his glanced header go way wide.

The Eagles had a bit of sustained pressure in the three minutes of added time at the end of the half but Blackpool's defence stood firm.


Palace started the second-half well and their top scorer Glenn Murray had the first attempt but his first time shot when harmlessly over the bar.

They then got the equaliser soon after when Owen Garvan headed Yannick Bolasie's cross back across Gilks and into the bottom left-hand corner.


The Eagles defended a couple of Blackpool corners well before they got the lead through Murray after 64 minutes when he found space to head in to the same corner as Garvan.


The home side were rampant and almost made it 3-1 but Gilks charged off his line to prevent Murray from adding to the tally after Blackpool gave possession away high up the pitch.

Blackpool brought on Dicko and Ludovic Sylvestre with 17 minutes remaining and it was the former who flashed an effort wide after finding space at the back post.

Then in the 89th minute Dicko grabbed what looked like an unlikely equaliser when he fired home Thomas' low cross from a few yards out.

GOAL: Crystal Palace 2-2 BLACKPOOL

It was the substitute's fifth goal of the season, all of which have come from the bench.

Appleton's side finished the game the stronger and in the end were well worthy of their point.


Advertisement block