Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Huddersfield 1 Blackpool 1

26 December 2012

Late Delfouneso Goal Secures A Point

Blackpool grabbed a 90th minute equaliser through Nathan Delfouneso to help secure a point at the John Smith's Stadium.

Michael Appleton's side dominated the game for large periods and should have been in front but were made to pay for a whole host of missed opportunities.

Anthony Gerrard opened the scoring in the 66th minute before Delfouneso had the last say in stoppage time.

The Seasiders started the game brightly and had two glorious chances to take the lead in the first five minutes but Gary Taylor-Fletcher failed to hit the target with either.

The first came inside 20 seconds but he shot over when played through from the right and then moments later he headed wide from Wes Thomas' deflected cross.

Then after five minutes a nice bit of interplay between Isaiah Osbourne and Ince enabled Tiago Gomes to get a shot away but his left-footed effort was well blocked by Peter Clarke.

Appleton's side continued to enjoy the majority of possession and it was Thomas who had the next chance when he spun away from his man on the edge of the box only to see his shot fly wide of Alex Smithies' left-hand post.

As Pool's dominance continued Osbourne bundled his way through the Huddersfield defence before scuffing his shot wide.

On 27 minutes another chance came and went for The Seasiders when Thomas checked back onto his left foot in the area, but shot over after receiving a short pass from Osbourne.

Blackpool carried on passing the ball around well and coping with the sodden conditions the better and just six minutes before the interval Ince twisted and turned in the box only to see his shot cleared off the line by a covering defender.

Moments before half-time a teasing cross from Alex Baptiste was almost turned into his own net by Clarke but fortunately for the Huddersfield captain it ended up hitting the side netting.


Straight after half-time Blackpool almost took the lead but the ball wouldn't break for a player in tangerine and the home side cleared.

Moments later a curling effort from Thomas looked destined for the bottom right-hand corner but Smithies turned his effort around the post.

Ten minutes into the second period and it was a similar pattern to the first-half with Pool dominating play. This time Taylor-Fletcher saw his low drive saved after playing a nice one-two with Thomas on the edge of the box.

Chris Basham was the next man to have an effort for Blackpool but his long range effort was deflected wide by Taylor-Fletcher.

Then in the 62nd minute The Terriers could have taken an undeserved lead but Jermaine Beckford sent his header wide after nodding it back across the face of goal.

That chance gave the home side a lift and they took the lead through Anthony Gerrard when he rose highest at the back post from a right wing corner.


The goal was completely against the run of play and Blackpool will be regretting spurning a host of chances earlier in the game.

Blackpool produced a speedy counter-attack from Huddersfield's next corner but substitute Nathan Delfouneso failed to control Taylor-Fletcher's through ball and Huddersfield survived once again.

The Seasiders came forward again with 15 minutes to go but Gomes' shot was well blocked before Taylor-Fletcher headed over Basham's cross immediately after.

Kirk Broadfoot was the next to have a chance but he couldn't keep his header down from around 12 yards out.

Finally, in the 90th minute Delfouneso flicked home Ince's low cross to give The Seasiders a point, and ultimately the very least they deserved.

GOAL: Huddersfield 1-1 BLACKPOOL 


Advertisement block