Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackpool Beat Wrexham In Friendly

28 July 2012

First Pre-Season Victory For Seasiders

Blackpool kicked off their pre-season with a 2-1 victory over Andy Morrell's Wrexham at The Racecourse Ground.

Goals from Kevin Phillips and new signing Scott Robertson were enough for The Seasiders, with plenty of players getting valuable minutes under their belts.

Pool named a first-half team and second-half side prior to the game, with Robertson starting alongside Barry Ferguson and Ludovic Sylvestre in midfield, while Elliot Grandin also appeared for the first time since his return from a loan spell in France.

The Spanish influence from the training ground was in evidence as the players dominated possession in the early stages, leading to Kevin Phillips being fouled in the box by Neil Ashton on 14 minutes. The striker stepped up to take the penalty and dispatched the ball past keeper Joslain Mayebi.

Wrexham hit back on 32 minutes though after defender Martin Riley headed in from a corner, levelling the score at 1-1. Further chances followed for the home side but some decent defending and the odd save from Matt Gilks kept them at bay.

Then, a minute before half-time, Scott Robertson fired in from six yards out after Ludovic Sylvestre and Alex Baptiste had seen shots blocked and saved respectively.


The Seasiders made eight changes at the interval but that didn't stop their rhythm of play, with Matt Phillips forcing Mayebi top tip over his zipping strike just two minutes in.

Tom Barkhuizen had two chances in quick succession before falling under a challenge when rounding the keeper, only for the referee to wave play on.

Matt Phillips continued to try his luck from distance, while Alex Baptiste struck the crossbar with a header after fine work by Gary Taylor-Fletcher on the right.

The Blackpool fans continued to chant for former player Andy Morrell to put his boots on for Wrexham, which he finally did in the 71st minute. Just a minute later Brett Ormerod left the field to a great reception. Blackpool also made another two changes, Caprice and Eastham replacing Eardley and Baptiste.

One of Morrell's first touches was a neat lay-off to Rob Ogleby who curled the ball just wide as The Dragons chased an equaliser.

Tom Barkhuizen had one final chance to increase Blackpool's lead when reaching Tiago Gomes' cross but Mayebi denied him again, leaving The Seasiders to settle for a 2-1 victory.


Advertisement block