Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

10-Man Pool Lose At Morecambe

20 November 2012

Youth Team Suffer Defeat At Lancashire Rivals

A red card for Mark Waddington at the start of the second half compounded a disappointing day as Blackpool Youth suffered a 4-0 defeat at Morecambe.

After a slow start the Seasiders found themselves 1-0 down at the interval but still very much in the contest.

Then on 48 minutes, central defender Waddington was dismissed by referee Mark Doherty for bringing down a Morecambe forward when he was through on goal. 

The home side made the extra man count and it was always an uphill task but coach John Hills had no complaints with the sending off.

The Tangerines fell behind after only three minutes when a ball over the top beat the entire defence, letting the Morecambe attack in behind to finish off a simple early goal.

Pool almost responded immediately when Conor Ready cut in from the left hand side, fizzing a ball across the area, which missed the boot of his strike partner George Lomax by a matter of inches.

Playing on a very wet and muddy pitch, the conditions suited the hustle and bustle style of the home side much more. 

Their eagerness to get to the first and the second balls stopped Blackpool from playing their usual passing game and set the tone for the first half.

John Hills tried a change in formation but Morecambe were still looking the more dangerous, and could have doubled their lead after 37 minutes, had it not been for the heroics of Odisses Gardikiotis in the Blackpool goal.

Morecambe played a short corner to the edge of the box, with the recipient firing a stinging shot that Gardikiotis parried, but only to the feet of an on-rushing forward.

The Blackpool keeper then reacted quickly and brilliantly to push the rebound to safety when it looked certain Morecambe would make it 2-0.

Waddington’s red card after just three second-half minutes certainly gave the home side a lift and to their credit Morecambe made the extra man count with some nice passing football.

On 63 minutes The Seasiders almost got an equaliser with Ramone Blackett shooting from 30 yards. With the ball looking destined for the top corner the Morecambe goalkeeper did well to get a strong hand to the ball and tip it wide.

But after 54 minutes the lead was doubled after a nice passing move and seven minutes later it was 3-0 and all hope of Blackpool pulling off a result was gone.

Hills’ side continued to search for a consolation goal but it was Morecambe who ended up adding to the score sheet on 81 minutes, breaking at pace after a Pool attack, who were left exposed at the back allowing the hosts to add some gloss to the score line.

Next up for The Seasiders is a cup match against Shrewsbury Town tomorrow (Wednesday).

Team: O. Gardikiotis, Fraser, Clayton, Waddington, Staunton-Turner, Cross (c), Blackett, A.Gardikiotis (Cameron 56), Lomax (Shaw 48), Cole, Ready. 

Unused subs: N’Daw, Johnston-Schuster.

Advertisement block