Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol City 1 Blackpool 1

17 November 2012

A Tale Of Two Penalties At Ashton Gate

Thomas Ince's stoppage time penalty earned Michael Appleton his second successive draw as Blackpool boss after Steven Davies had opened the scoring with less than ten minutes to go.

Davies' 81st minute spot-kick looked to have given Derek McInnes his first win in ten games but Ince had the last say.

There was not much between the sides but The Seasiders had the better of the chances and were deserved of their point.

After some very tight opening exchanges Neil Kilkenny had the first shot on goal when he let fly with a rasping drive from 35 yards out, which cannoned off Matt Gilks' crossbar.

Moments later Thomas Ince had Blackpool's first chance after he collected a raking cross-field ball from Stephen Crainey inside the penalty area. He worked the ball on to his favoured left foot only to see his Tom Heaton make a fine save low down to his right.

A clash of heads between Ian Evatt and Marvin Elliott after 15 minutes gave both sides a chance to regroup after both had early scares and the next ten minutes passed largely without incident.

Blackpool began to grow into the game and it was Ince who turned provider this time, pulling the ball back to Kevin Phillips who scuffed his shot and The Robins cleared the danger.

Both sides then began to look comfortable in possession with neither troubling either keeper. Albert Adomah had an effort for the home side after cutting in from the right flank but he dragged his shot from 20 yards wide of the near post.

Just a few minutes before half-time and Nathan Delfouneso almost broke the deadlock with a curling effort from the left side of the penalty area but unfortunately for him it failed to dip in time and the ball landed on roof of the net.

The Seasiders certainly ended the half the stronger and a mazy run from Ince through the middle ended with his goal bound shot blocked by a covering defender.


Both sides looked to start the second half on the front foot and a good challenge from Joe Bryan prevented Ince from shooting as he was bearing down on goal. 

Shortly after Jon Stead could have put the home side in front but Gilks came out quickly to save well after the striker pounced on a loose back pass from Ian Evatt.

With 60 minutes on the clock Bristol City went in search of the opening goal but Craig Cathcart's fantastic block prevented Elliott's effort from reaching Gilks.

Soon after, Sylvestre broke well to set up Phillips but his shot was deflected and Heaton saved easily.

The game sprung into life all of a sudden and some great understanding between Phillips and Delfouneso resulted in the latter shooting against the foot of the post and then Heaton saved Ince's follow up shot brilliantly.

With just over 15 minutes to go Delfouneso got himself on the end of Ince's low cross but his shot from close range was straight at Heaton.

Paul Anderson came on for Derek McInnes' side and he looked to make an instant impact but his shot from an acute angle was blocked by Cathcart.

Then in the 81st minute the home side won a penalty after Gilks brought down Adomah. Steven Davies came on to take it and he hit the ball low and hard to Gilks' right sending the keeper the wrong way.

GOAL: BRISTOL CITY 1-0 Blackpool

The Seasiders continued to create chances but Delfouneso's clever turn and shot in the area resulted in the impressive Heaton saving well down to his right.

Then in the first minute of stoppage time Delfouneso's cross was handled in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Ince stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left hand corner sending the keeper the wrong way.

GOAL: Bristol City 1-1 BLACKPOOL

That was the last action of the game and The Seasiders earned their second draw in as many games.


Advertisement block