Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blackpool 0 Charlton 2

6 October 2012

Report: Blackpool 0 Charlton 2

Second-half goals from Leon Cort and Chris Solly were enough to see Charlton Athletic claim all three points at Bloomfield Road.

Central defender Cort headed home from a corner just after half-time, before Solly added a second with a wonderful strike 20 minutes later.

Ian Holloway’s side controlled much of the possession in the early stages but sprung into life for the first time in an attacking sense in the 17th minute. Matt Phillips saw a half-volley blocked, before Nathan Delfouneso failed to duplicate Nouha Dicko’s spectacular goal against Hull City, as he skewed an acrobatic effort away from target.

The visitors looked content to play on the break for the most part and came inches away from opening the scoring in the 24th minute. Salim Kerkar swung a corner in from the right in towards a crowd of Charlton attackers. 

Former Preston North End striker Ricardo Fuller looked to get the touch, but his header cannoned off the under-side of the bar.

Ben Hamer was then called into action when Phillips, clearly buoyed by his mid-week goal against the Tigers, produced an excellent turn and shot from the outside of the area, which the Charlton ‘keeper got down well to beat away.

Almost immediately, Chris Powell’s side raced down the other end of the field and looked certain to score when Fuller squared into the path of Bradley Wright-Phillips, only for Stephen Crainey to make a crucial interception.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher also appeared odds-on to open the scoring when he received the ball inside the box and stepped inside defender Michael Morrison, but the 31-year-old couldn’t find the target as he fired over.

The last effort of the half went to Fuller, as he forced a smart save from Matt Gilks. The veteran frontman wriggled clear of Ian Evatt, but was denied by the Blackpool ‘keeper at his near post. 


With chances for both sides in the first half, it looked unlikely the contest would remain goalless for long, and so it proved as Charlton struck soon after the re-start. Dale Stephens whipped in a corner which was met perfectly by a header from Cort.


That goal prompted an instant reaction from Holloway, as Thomas Ince was summoned from the bench and brought on in place of Tiago Gomes.

The Tangerine’s talisman had missed the previous two games through injury, but didn’t take long to get back into the action. His left-foot shot from outside the area was well watched and comfortably held by Hamer.

Dicko and Kevin Phillips were then both brought off the substitute’s bench, after both found the back of the net on Tuesday night, but the strike duo could do little stop Charlton doubling their lead in the 73rd minute. Chris Solly pounced upon a loose ball just outside the Blackpool penalty area and effortlessly fired a first-time shot into the top corner of Gilks’s net. 


Blackpool continued to toil for a way back into the game, but found attacking inspiration strangely hard to come-by on this occasion, as they struggled to find any way through the Addicks defence. In the end there was to be no comeback for the Tangerines, as Powell’s side comfortably saw out the final minutes.

Advertisement block