Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City v Blackpool

2 October 2012

Report: Hull City 2 Blackpool 3

Kevin Phillips and Nouha Dicko both came off the bench to score the goals that ultimately got the Seasiders three points in a topsy-turvy game at the KC Stadium.

Both sides led in the match before Dicko's overhead kick, eight minutes from time won the game for Blackpool.

The first ten minutes were somewhat a bit of a none event with neither side troubling either defence.

But with the first attack of the match, after eleven minutes, Matt Phillips stroked home a low cross from Nathan Delfouneso to give the Seasiders the lead.


It was a well worked move down the right that resulted in Delfouneso pulling out to the inside right position. The 21-year-old received the ball from Neal Eardley before pulling the ball back to Phillips who did well to fire into the far corner beyond Ben Amos.

The goal seemed to settle Ian Holloway's side and they began to put together some nice passing moves without threatening the Hull too much in the final third.

The first shot for the home side didn't come until the 26th minute when Jay Simpson lashed one high and wide from 25 yards out.

The Seasiders went straight up the other end and could have made it 2-0 but for a superb last ditch tackle from Alex Bruce with Delfouneso bearing down on goal.

In the 40th minute Hull equalised against the run of play. Sone Aluko picked the ball up and ran at the Blackpool defence before unleashing a great strike from outside the area that swerved away from Gilks and into the top left-hand corner.

GOAL:HULL CITY 1-1 Blackpool

The goal gave the home side a renewed belief and they began to put the Blackpool defence under a bit of pressure as the half drew to an end but they stood firm and the first period ended honours even.


Within two minutes of the restart Hull got their noses in front when Stephen Quinn ran to the near post and flicked the ball beyond Gilks after a low cross from the left.

GOAL: HULL CITY 2-1 Blackpool

The Seasiders looked to respond immediately but Tiago Gomes' shot from 12 yards on the left was deflected and went harmlessly into Amos' hands.

With a quarter of the game to go Ian Holloway made his first change with Kevin Phillips coming on for Gomes.

Phillips was straight into the action but his header from Eardley's cross was harmless as it looped up into the hands of Amos.

It proved to be an inspired change as with his next meaningful touch, Kevin Phillips bundled the ball home after Ian Evatt played laid it across the goal from Stephen Crainey's deep free-kick.


As Blackpool looked to stamp their authority on the game Gary Taylor-Fletcher dragged a shot wide from 30 yards out.

It was Hull's turn to attack next and with ten minutes to go Eardley's clearance only went as far as Robert Koren on the edge of the box but he, like Taylor-Fletcher, dragged his shot way wide.

With eight minutes remaining Blackpool managed to regain the lead thanks to another substitute, Nouha Dicko, whose impressive bicycle kick found the centre of the goal when Amos was out of his net.


The goal came from a long ball forward that Kevin Phillips ran onto. Amos came out to close down Phillips but he managed to chip the ball back into the box and Dicko did the rest.

The Seasiders then saw out the game comfortably to ensure they got back to winning ways.

Advertisement block