Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Burnley 1-0 Blackpool

20 October 2012

Seasiders Suffer Defeat At Turf Moor

Charlie Austin's first-half header condemned Blackpool to back-to-back defeats and their third on the road this season.

The Seasiders improved in the second period but a lacklustre first-half display proved to be their downfall.

The first ten minutes passed largely without incident, with neither goalkeeper called into action.

With neither side looking too dangerous Charlie Austin suddenly sprung the offside trap to receive a lofted diagonal ball, which he brought down well before seeing his volley turned around the post by Matt Gilks.

Blackpool began to string some prolonged passing moves together without ever troubling the Burnley goal.

Then in the 18th minute The Clarets broke the deadlock through Austin, who nodded home Ross Wallace's right-wing cross at the back post.

GOAL: BURNLEY 1-0 Blackpool

Blackpool continued to try and play their passing game but were often left frustrated as soon as they got into the final third as the home side got men back in numbers.

Thomas Ince was a constant threat and when he drifted infield he managed to get a shot away but could only fire it over from 25 yards out.

Junior Stanislas nearly made it 2-0 a few minutes before the interval after some neat play from Austin but Gilks stood up tall and turned his effort round the post.

The last chance of the half came in stoppage time but Wallace curled his free-kick into the side netting.


The second-half started in a similar fashion to how the first ended, with Burnley on the front foot and The Seasiders struggling to make any real inroads.

That was until the 53rd minute when Neal Eardley found Ince in the area on the right. The 20-year-old took his time before firing a low shot into the side netting to the agony of Blackpool fans behind the goal.

That seemed to spring Holloway's side into life and they were desperately unlucky not equalise when Alex Baptiste's header rattled the post after a fine save from Grant, only for the keeper to then get up quickly to deny Gary Taylor-Fletcher.

The introduction of Ludovic Sylvestre, who replaced Nathan Delfouneso, meant the men in white began to control the game in the middle of the park and Burnley were often penned in for sustained periods.

Burnley weathered the storm and the game became more of a midfield battle with neither side posing much of a threat at either end.

With just over ten minutes to go Holloway brought on Nouha Dicko and Gerardo Bruna and changed the shape of the side to a diamond formation in the middle, with two up-front.

Unfortunately the changes didn't result in a change of fortune for The Seasiders and Burnley held on to take all three points.

Advertisement block