Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team In 10-Goal Thriller

1 October 2012

Seasiders Beat Morecambe

The Youth Team secured their second win of the season in a 10-goal thriller against Morecambe on Saturday.
On a windy morning at Squires Gate, The Seasiders ran out 6-4 winners in an entertaining match.
John Hill’s side thoroughly deserved the three points, playing some eye catching football. Had it not been for two injury-time goals from Morecambe the scoreline would have looked much more flattering for the home team, something their overall performance warranted.
Missing out on the opportunity to record a landslide victory and boost their goal difference disappointed Hills, but the former Blackpool defender was pleased to get the win.
“First half I thought we were outstanding, we did everything right, the work-rate especially was brilliant. We deserved to be in the lead at half-time.
“Once we were 3-0 up the lads started doing too much on the ball and stopped doing the simple things. We’ve conceded a couple of sloppy goals from that which I’m not happy about. It’s taken the edge off the victory slightly.”
Blackpool started the game well and deservedly took the lead after 20 minutes through Ashley Rowley, the winger picking up an injury in the process.

A free-kick on the half-way line was taken by right back John Fraser, who played a good ball to captain Ade Cole. The striker’s excellent first touch allowed him to turn and whip in an excellent cross to the back post. With the ball looking as though it would run out for a goal kick, Rowley sprinted on to the cross and bundled the ball past the Morecambe goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
Rowley’s momentum sent him crashing into the goal post and after lengthy treatment he was stretchered off. The full extent of the injury was unknown at the end of the game.
With half-time beckoning Blackpool extended their lead with two goals in four minutes, Connor Reddy grabbed the second after racing on to an excellent through ball by Kieran Shaw and confidently placing the ball past Johnson.
Then, seconds before the interval, Blackpool were in full flow and scored an excellent team goal through Deon Charles. The winger, who had replaced Rowley, finished off a fine move by smashing the ball into the top-left hand corner to make it 3-0.
The second-half saw Blackpool kick against the wind and on 51 minutes it played a hand in the visitor’s first goal. A cross was played into the home side’s penalty area and the strong wind kept the ball hanging in the air. Morecambe striker James Riley took advantage and headed the ball past Dean Gardikiotis to make the score 3-1.
Blackpool restored the three-goal advantage on 70 minutes with Reddy scoring his second of the game. The impressive Cole exchanged a one-two with left-back Emmanuel N’Daw, who whipped in a cross from the by-line and Reddy was on hand to apply the finish.
This entertaining encounter saw manager John Hills name two under 16s in his squad. Mark Waddington completed 90 minutes at centre-back and winger Henry Cameron replaced Ramone Blackett after 58 minutes. Cameron wasted no time and made a name for himself with two goals on 75 and 86 minutes respectively. The 15-year-old winger looked eager to impress and scored an audacious chip from 10-yards to make the score 5-1.
Morecambe’s Alex Naylor capitalised on some sloppy defending to score the visitors second in between Cameron’s brace on 83 minutes. After 90 minutes it looked as though Blackpool were heading for a comfortable 6-2 victory, but two lapses in concentration allowed Morecambe substitute Luke Pybis to grab two goals in injury time and take the gloss off Blackpool’s performance.
“Our overall play was excellent and we didn’t deserve to concede four,” Hills reflected. “We just need to keep our concentration levels high and cut out the silly mistakes. On the whole we’ve played some great stuff and scored some excellent goals. To score six was brilliant.”

Advertisement block