Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leicester v Blackpool

1 September 2012

Unbeaten Start Ended By Foxes

Blackpool's winning start to the npower Championship season came to an end at the King Power Stadium after a Ben Marshall penalty sent the Seasiders to a 1-0 defeat.

It was Leicester who began the game brighter, with former Fleetwood forward Jamie Vardy seeing his first time shot from inside the penalty area saved by Matt Gilks.

The Seasiders were then nearly caught out by a short corner on 15 minutes but Gilks again saved well down to his left, after a deflected shot from Marshall looked to be heading for the bottom corner.

Just a few minutes later Vardy found himself in space at the far post but he dithered on the ball and his goal bound effort was well blocked by Neal Eardley.

Blackpool's first real attempt on goal came when Gary Taylor-Fletcher shot narrowly over Kasper Schmeichel's goal from 30 yards out.

Shortly after, Schmeichel was called into action for the first time when he was forced to save low down from Tom Ince who scuffed his right footed effort, when played through on goal by Taylor-Fletcher.

Then, in injury-time of the first-half, Barry Ferguson controlled a lofted ball superbly well, only to then hit a left footed volley against the post from the edge of the area.


The home side started the second period on the front foot and thought they had taken the lead through Andy King but his shot was deflected in by his own player on the goal line, who was in an offside position.

Leicester were then awarded a penalty by referee Mike Jones after Tiago Gomes was adjudged to have fouled Vardy. Ben Marshall stepped up and sent the ball high into the left hand corner of the net to give the hosts the lead.


Soon after the goal came the first change from Ian Holloway, which saw the introduction of Matt Phillips for Gomes. A mazy run from Ince almost resulted in the substitute being allowed a shot at goal, but Phillips was charged down quickly by three Leicester defenders.

It was then Matt Phillips who turned provider as he attempted to pick out Ince at the back post but his first time effort was easily dealt with by Schmeichel.

With just under 25 minutes to go Nathan Delfouneso was given his Blackpool debut as he replaced the tireless Nouha Dicko.

Alex Baptiste somehow managed to keep the score to 1-0 when he headed Lloyd Dyer's fierce strike away for a corner when it looked certain to find the top corner.

Kevin Phillips was introduced to the action with 18 minutes to go but a stubborn Leicester side meant Blackpool struggled to make inroads into their back four, until Ince drifted through two defenders only to snatch his effort and send it wide.

As the match neared the 90th minute Matt Phillips had a chance from 12 yards out but hit his shot hard into the ground and it bounced harmlessly over the crossbar.

The game soon became stretched but Blackpool failed in their efforts to get an equaliser meaning the Seasiders suffered their first defeat of the season.


Advertisement block