Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Cardiff City 3 Blackpool 0

29 September 2012

Seasiders Suffer Consecutive Defeats

Blackpool suffered their second defeat in a week as they lost 3-0 at Cardiff thanks to two Matthew Connolly goals and a free-kick from Peter Whittingham.

Ian Holloway's side started with seven changes and began the game brightly, looking to press Cardiff high up the pitch.

The first half-chance for the Seasiders fell to Kevin Phillips on the edge of the box but he mishit his first time effort and it failed to trouble David Marshall in the Cardiff goal.

Blackpool' early good work was undone after 17 minutes when Craig Bellamy pulled the ball back for an unmarked Matthew Connolly, who drove the ball high into the roof of the net.

GOAL: CARDIFF 1-0 Blackpool

Ian Holloway's side nearly got back on level terms immediately but Angel Martinez's well struck effort was blocked as it looked to be heading for the bottom corner.

It was then Cardiff's turn to have a goal bound effort blocked when Peter Whittingham was given time to shoot from 25 yards out only for Ian Evatt to intervene.

The Bluebirds' top scorer then doubled the lead for the home side when his free-kick on the right beat Matt Gilks at the near post after Evatt had fouled Bellamy.

GOAL: CARDIFF 2-0 Blackpool

The Seasiders could have reduced the arrears soon after but Kevin Phillips turned Matt Phillips' teasing cross over when stretching for the ball at the back post.

Noone was a constant threat for Cardiff throughout the first period and it was he who teamed up well with Bellamy before unleashing a tame effort on Gilks' goal.

As the game looked to petering out towards the interval Mackay's side almost made it 3-0 but Gilks managed to turn Bellamy's dipping volley around the post.


Nathan Delfouneso replaced Ludovic Sylvestre at half-time as Ian Holloway looked to get more support to Kevin Phillips in attack.

As Blackpool looked to gain a foothold in the match they fell further behind when Connolly scored his second of the game with a close range header from Bellamy's corner.

GOAL: CARDIFF 3-0 Blackpool

Soon after, Peter Whittingham tried his luck again from a similar position to where he scored from in the first-half but Gilks was equal to it and tipped the ball over the crossbar.

As Blackpool pushed men forward in a bid to get a goal back Cardiff continued to look dangerous with Bellamy and Helguson both shooting over from the edge of the area.

Nathan Eccleston came on for his debut in place of Nouha Dicko and had a chance midway through the second period, but his shot was miscued and it went well wide.

Matty Phillips continued to probe but his right footed shot found the side netting from inside the area on the left.

Nathan Delfouneso looked like he may have gained a consolation goal from Stephen Crainey's free-kick, but his header went narrowly wide of the far post.

A late free-kick from Crainey summed up Blackpool's afternoon as he saw his effort come back off the upright.

Advertisement block