Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/08/2013

24 August 2013

Report: Blackpool 1 Reading 0

Tom Barkhuizen's calm finish 15 minutes from time gave Blackpool their third win from four games and maintained their unbeaten start to the campaign.

The young striker was a second-half substitute and got the only goal of the game when he ran beyond defender Sean Morrison before keeping a cool head to slot the ball past Alex McCarthy in the Reading goal.

Ricardo Fuller was handed his debut by Paul Ince and it was he who combined with Nathan Delfouneso early on; the latter's run and cross was well dealt with at the back post by the Reading defence though.

It was a bright start from Paul Ince's men and they almost broke the deadlock a quarter into the match, but Neal Bishop's diving header flew narrowly wide with McCarthy seemingly beaten.

The build up play was a pleasure to watch as Angel Martinez and Delfouneso worked the space well for the Spaniard to send in a curling cross with the outside of his right boot.

As the half went on the visitors grew into the game more and eventually tested Matt Gilks with a free-kick, which was beautifully struck by Royston Drenthe and well saved by the keeper.

Moments later Jem Karacan sent an effort onto the crossbar after The Seasiders failed to clear their lines and that was the last action of the first period.


The Seasiders started the second-half in bright fashion and threatened through Bobby Grant but the forward didn't connect properly with his effort from outside the box and it was easily saved by McCarthy.

Just before the hour-mark it looked for all the world that Reading would take the lead, but the ball was somehow kept out in a mini six-yard box scramble by a combination of Gary MacKenzie and Gilks before Chris Basham stabbed the ball away.

Tom Barkhuizen and Michael Chopra came on for Fuller and Grant with around 25 minutes to go and were immediately in the thick of things with Chopra laying the ball off for the 20-year-old to strike but he cut across it too much and it spun wide.

Gary MacKenzie added to Pool's injury woes in the 70th minute as he limped off and despite The Seasiders having to move personnel around it was they who took the lead when Barkhuizen nipped ahead of Wayne Bridge, used the run of Chopra to good effect and calmly placed the ball past McCarthy.


It was his first senior goal for the Club on just his second league appearance in a tangerine shirt.

Pavel Pogrebnyak came on for Reading and almost equalised late on but his header was watched over the bar by Gilks.

The Seasiders saw out the game with great professionalism with all players to a man showing grit and determination to hold onto their slender lead.


Advertisement block