Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster 1 Blackpool 3

3 August 2013

Report: Doncaster 1 Blackpool 3

Late goals from Gary MacKenzie and Thomas Ince handed Blackpool three points on the opening day of the Sky Bet Championship season at a sun-drenched Keepmoat Stadium.

Paul Ince handed debuts to Bobby Grant and Steven Davies, while fellow summer signing and former loanee, turn match winner MacKenzie slotted in at centre-half alongside Craig Cathcart.

The Seasiders started the game the much the livelier side, knocking the ball around well with Angel Martinez picking out Thomas Ince and despite a lovely touch from the winger James Husband got back to make a vital tackle.

A minute later and the home side were a matter of inches away from taking the lead, but Chris Brown's header across goal flicked the wrong side of the post as far as Doncaster were concerned and went behind for a goal kick.

The game was being played at break-neck speed and it was The Seasiders who profited as they got their noses in front when Davies pounced on a loose ball six yards out to tuck the ball into an empty net.

GOAL: Doncaster 0-1 BLACKPOOL

The goal came from a Pool corner, which was cleared out to Grant, who then laid the ball of to Martinez; his shot was saved before Broadfoot tangled with the goalkeeper and the ball broke to the Blackpool number nine, who couldn't really miss.

Tackles were flying in and a few players entered the referee's notebook including Bob Harris and Isaiah Osbourne for Blackpool.

Osbourne was booked for a foul right on the edge of the penalty area but David Cotterill's whipped free-kick was well held by Matt Gilks.

Straight up the other end and some great pressure from Martinez set up a chance for Broadfoot, but his shot was well blocked before Grant's cross was headed into the side netting by Davies at the back post.

As the clock ticked past the half-hour mark there had barely been time catch breath with both sides not being given a moment on the ball and finding it difficult to maintain any real possession.

As the half went on Rovers grew into the game more and it was Brown who had another headed effort but this time it looped up and into the safe hands of Gilks, just beneath his crossbar.


The first 15 minutes of the second-half didn't live up to the speed and intensity of the first period, but right on the hour-mark Doncaster equalised as their captain Rob Jones rose the highest in a crowded penalty area to head the ball into the back of the net from around eight yards.

GOAL: DONCASTER 1-1 Blackpool

The Seasiders hadn't really got to grips with the game after the break and it prompted Paul Ince into a double substitution as he took off Bobby Grant and the yellow carded Bob Harris and brought on Jack Robinson and Chris Basham.

Paul Dickov's side had been building up a bit of pressure after the leveller, but the substitutions and the slight change in shape meant Blackpool could stamp their authority on the game again in terms of possession.

With ten minutes to go Michael Chopra came on for his debut, replacing Steven Davies in attack.

In the 84th minute some good pressure high up the pitch again from Blackpool resulted in a great chance for Ince, but he pulled his shot wide of Turnbull's left-hand post from 12 yards.

Ince didn't let his head drop though and just minutes later it was his inswinging corner that was met by Gary MacKenzie at the back post and his downward header was too powerful to react to sending 1244 Blackpool fans into jubilation.

GOAL: Doncaster 1-2 BLACKPOOL

The Seasiders saw out the game well and even addded to the scoreline when Ince scored from 45 yards out after Turnbull had gone up to challenge a Doncaster corner.

GOAL: Doncaster 1-3 BLACKPOOL

It was a quite exquisite end to a thoroughly entertaining game.


Advertisement block