Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/12/2013

3 December 2013

Yeovil 1 Blackpool 0

An unappetising trip beforehand, Blackpool's visit to Yeovil ended in devastating fashion, as Paul Ince's side finished with eight men and went down to frustrating 1-0 defeat at Huish Park.

The night always looked to be an irritating one for Pool from the moment John Lundstram put the hosts ahead in the first half from an offside-looking position.

Chances came and went for the visitors, who well and truly lost their heads in injury time and succumbed to a third league defeat of the season.

Kirk Broadfoot, Ricardo Fuller and Gary MacKenzie all lost their cool and were dismissed, meaning they will now miss Saturday's trip to Derby. 

The manager made one change in his first away game back in the dugout, with Jack Robinson returning from suspension to start in place of Tyler Blackett. There was also the welcome return of captain Barry Ferguson to the Blackpool bench.

It was Matt Gilks who was the first goalkeeper called into action however, plucking Ishmael Miller's effort out of the air.

Like most Blackpool games, it was a lively start and Fuller soon fired over for The Seasiders after industrial work from Dan Gosling in the middle.

With the home fans right behind them, Yeovil were causing Blackpool problems, with Miller setting up Luke Ayling, who saw his goal-bound shot blocked by Gosling.

The midfielder was involved in all Blackpool's early play, and soon after headed Chris Basham's cross wide.

Meanwhile, Miller was was where the Yeovil danger was coming from, next he forced his way through before dragging an effort wide.

On 17 minutes it was Blackpool's turn to try their luck, with Stephen Dobbie firing off target.

Moments later the best chance of the game so far fell to Thomas Ince, but the winger couldn't make the most of Broadfoot's fine through ball, and shot wide when clean through.

They were made to rue that miss, with the hosts taking the lead minutes later.

A hopeful free-kick into the Blackpool box wasn't dealt with, and Lundstram pounced to prod past Gilks and put Yeovil ahead.

The Seasiders looked for an instant response and almost got it, but Neal Bishop's volley was spectacularly kept out by Christopher Bunn.

From the resulting corner Isaiah Osbourne's glancing header ghosted narrowly wide.

The chances continued to come for Blackpool, next Dobbie fired over from inside the box, snatching at his chance after Ince's initial effort had been blocked. 

As for The Glovers, that man Miller again came close, the on loan Nottingham Forest striker was impressing on his home debut for the hosts. 

Next the striker's header from just inside the penalty area had to be palmed over by Gilks, with Byron Webster heading wide from the following attack.

Webster showed his quality at the other end soon after, putting his body on the line to deny Fuller from close range, before Dobbie volleyed straight at Dunn.

As the board went up for one minute added on at the end of the first half, Lundstram volleyed wide as the hosts ended strongly.

Blackpool came out for the second half in rejuvenated fashion, and Fuller had an effort deflected behind for a corner.

Although nothing came from the resulting set piece, Gosling did test Dunn soon after, with the stopper gathering at the second attempt. 

The midfielder tested Dunn again soon after, but Blackpool continued to be frustrated by the hosts.

Yeovil remained a threat on the counter attack, and Joel Grant caught out Basham with a quick turn, before curling wide of the mark.

The Seasiders needed to freshen things up, and it called for the return of captain Ferguson, who replaced Osbourne.

Out of the blue Yeovil were almost out of sight, as Ed Upson's volley from long range cannoned off the underside of Gilks' bar, meaning the midfielder was denied one of the goals of the season.

Steve Davies was then removed off the bench, replacing the impressive Bishop.

The striker was instantly involved, but his improvised header looped over the bar and the frustration continued.

Dobbie then fired a free-kick into the wall, before Davies set up Ince, whose effort was blocked by a host of retreating Yeovil defenders. 

That equaliser failed to materialise, so Michael Chopra was thrown into the action in place of Dobbie.

Yeovil's star man, Miller then bent an effort narrowly wide as the hosts went for the kill.

With two minutes remaining Fuller was inches from levelling, after latching onto Davies' flick, the striker hooked an effort narrowly wide.

Second later and Davies then set up Chopra, but the striker lost his composure and fired over the bar.

Blackpool's misery was compounded in the final minutes of normal time as a number of experience players lost their heads. First Sam Hoskins was chopped down by Broadfoot, who was already on a yellow card and was dismissed.

As if things couldn't get any worse for The Seasiders, Fuller was then given a straight red card for an off the ball incident, adjudged to be a head but.

Blackpool heads had well and and truly gone, and MacKenzie was unbelievably sent off as well. The stand-in captain went in late on Miller and became the third player to be sent off in a matter in minutes.

Those three dismissals all came in the final minutes, and gave Pool no chance of resurrecting a point, as Yeovil claimed the victory and let the visiting supporters shell shocked. 

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block