Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/12/2013

14 December 2013

Report: Blackpool 0 QPR 2

Winger Matt Phillips returned to bite the hand that used to feed him, scoring one and making another, to punish Blackpool for not building on a positive first half.

The former Pool man pounced on a defensive error to fire QPR ahead, before he put a cross right onto the head of Charlie Austin, to put the game beyond Blackpool.

The Seasiders had been the better side in the first half, and came close through Craig Cathcart and Thomas Ince, but slumped to a third-straight defeat.

It was only Blackpool's second home defeat of the season, and came against a strong QPR who scored with their first shot on target to move top of The Championship.

Paul Ince handed Cathcart a first start since October, along with Nathan Delfouneso and Kirk Broadfoot, as Neal Bishop missed out with suspension, whilst Stephen Dobbie and Tyler Blackett dropped to the bench. 

The opening ten minutes of the game failed to live up to the Derby game, with no early Blackpool goal this time and no chances of note at a wind-swept Bloomfield Road.

It was Blackpool who registered the first attempt on goal, with Steve Davies heading at Rob Green, from Jack Robinson's cross.

Cathcart, on his return to injury, then had Green at full stretch to push over the bar, and the defender fired over from the resulting corner - eager to make an impact. 

After 27 minutes Broadfoot went down in the area, hoping for a decision, but the referee firmly denied the defender a penalty.

The hosts were by far the better side, and went mighty close to the opener when Dan Gosling dragged an effort inches wide.

Gosling's strike was as close at Blackpool in a positive first half, as for The Rs, they failed to register a shot on goal.

After the break QPR made up for it and finally tested Matt Gilks, as Ince's mistake allowed his former team mate Phillips a shot on goal, but the Blackpool stopper held on.

The Seasiders responded, Ince in particularl, and his stinging effort was then palmed away by the ex-England stopper Green.

The manager's son was looking lively, and was then put through by Gosling, but the pass was over-hit, much like the cross that was then headed over by the Newcastle loanee.

The contest was much more of an open one after the break, as Richard Dunne's header was scrambled away by Ince.

Out of the blue the visitors took the lead just after the hour-mark, Phillips returned to haunt Blackpool, firing into the top corner from outside the area, via Gilks' hand.

That goal gave Phillips a confidence boost, and he would have made it two had Gilks not spread himself to block his goal-bound effort.

QPR's influence in the game saw Ince swap Davies for Michael Chopra after 67 minutes.

The away side's one to watch, Austin had had a quiet game, but saw his effort deflected wide by Cathcart.

Moments later, just like all good striker do, Austin scored with his first real attempt on goal, planting a header past Gilks, latching onto a fine Phillips cross.

The Blackpool stopper was now the busier, will have taken consolation from a fine one-handed save to deny Tom Carroll.

Pool huffed and puffed, but Robinson's sliced effort was a sign that today wouldn't be their day.

Grant's weak header with one minute remaining further reinstated the point.

To their credit Blackpool continued to press, but Ince's corner fell straight into Green's hands, confirming it was another bad day at the office.

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block