Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/12/2013

29 December 2013

Report: Blackpool 0 Brighton 1

2013 came to a disappointing end for Blackpool, who fell  to an uninspiring defeat at the hands of Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Seasiders struggled to create throughout, and succumbed to a fifth defeat of the month thanks to a solitary Inigo Calderon strike.

The full-back fired the visitors ahead when his shot was too hot for Matt Gilks to handle.

Pool huffed and puffed, but Chris Basham's header, which was palmed away to safety, was the closest they came to a late equaliser.

Paul Ince had made one enforced change to his side, with Stephen Dobbie starting out wide against his former club.

During a scrappy opening to the game the visitors came closest when Leonardo Ulloa fired over following a clever free-kick.

Next the striker bent a free-kick of his own harmlessly over the bar as Brighton started well.

Everything was going through the Argentine, next he hit a sumptuous curling effort onto the post, as Albion continued to press.

For The Seasiders, the best they could muster was Dan Gosling's long range effort which looped over the bar.

A goal was certainly coming, and when Calderon was given time and space inside the Blackpool penalty area, the full-back side-footed his team ahead, despite Gilks getting a strong hand on the strike. 

Basham attempted a quick response, but his weak header was easily dealt with, as Pool went in for half time behind to the solitary goal.

Half Time: Blackpool 0 Brighton 1

After the break The Seasiders continued to struggle to make a stamp on the game, with Ince hoping Nathan Delfouneso's introduction off the bench could swing things.

Another substitute Kazenga Lua Lua then tested Gilks, but his strike was kept out by the goalkeeper at the second attempt.

Things weren't going Pool's way, next Basham was booked, meaning he will miss the trip to Sheffield Wednesday.

Will Buckley then fired at Gilks, as the natives became restless. 

Attempting to lead by example, Barry Ferguson then bent a deflected free-kick narrowly wide.

It was certainly a big final ten minutes for Blackpool, who then saw a Basham header palmed away to safety by Tomasz Kuszak. 

The game was finally becoming stretched, Ashley Barnes then curled an effort narrowly wide for The Seagulls.

Lua Lua's effort then hit the base of the post, as Brighton attempted to seal the deal.

And there was to be no dramatic ending, as Brighton comfortably saw out their victory, as Pool ended December with a fifth defeat of the month.

Full Time: Blackpool 1 Brighton 0

By Mark Ridgway

Advertisement block