Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/02/2013

20 February 2013

Report: Leeds United 2 Blackpool 0

Paul Ince's first game in charge of The Seasiders ended in defeat as two early second-half goals were enough to hand Leeds United all three points.

Ince opted for an all new midfield, bringing in Barry Ferguson, Isaiah Osbounre and Ludovic Sylvestre in place of Chris Basham, Angel Martinez and Tiago Gomes.

The new manager expected a battle and that's what he got for large parts of the first-half, with Ferguson and Osbourne both proving their worth.

The opening stages were largely scrappy although ex-Pool man Luke Varney was causing a few problems down the Leeds left as he continued to find space and run at the Pool back-line.

In similar fashion Matt Phillips and Thomas Ince were typically threatening for The Seasiders and it was the latter who played in Alex Baptiste with a clever reverse ball only for his cross to flash across the six yard box and evade everyone.

A few minutes later Phillips cut in from the left flank and let fly with a fizzing effort that stung the palms of Paddy Kenny before he regained at the second attempt.

Some incisive play from Varney, once again created some confusion at the back but Blackpool got enough men back eventually to clear the danger.

With just under 15 minutes to go till half-time Sylvestre used the overlapping run of Crainey to create some space inside and from 25 yards out sent a curling effort that looked destined for the corner only for Kenny to tip the ball away.

Next it was the home side's turn to attack and it was Varney again, who got on the end of Steven Morison's teasing tight-wing cross, but his header went over while under pressure from Kirk Broadfoot.

On the stroke of half-time Ferguson made good yardage down the right before playing the ball into the feet of Phillips, who dropped off his man only to see left-footed shot turned away by Kenny. Gary Taylor-Fletcher turned home the rebound but he was flagged offside.


The first major chance of the second-half came seven minutes in and it was Leeds' best player Varney who latched onto a lofted ball only to strike his shot against the outside of Matt Gilks' post.

Straight up the other end and Phillips onto a similar ball, but he mishit is effort and the ball dropped wide of the near post.

Just ten minutes into the half and Neil Warnock's side took the lead when a corner was deflected away to the edge of the area where David Norris was standing and his drilled effort nestled in the bottom corner.

GOAL: LEEDS 1-0 Blackpool

The Seasiders responded well to the goal and almost got back on level terms from a quick break down the right-hand side but Phillips' cross was slightly too hard and Taylor-Fletcher couldn't stretch to get what would have been a telling touch on the ball.

The home side then doubled their lead against the run of play in fortuitous fashion as Crainey's attempted clearance fell straight to Morison who had time to pick his spot and dispatch the ball emphatically, leaving Gilks no chance.

GOAL: LEEDS 2-0 Blackpool

Nathan Delfouneso and Matt Derbyshire were brought on in place of Taylor-Fletcher and Sylvestre to offer some more pace up top but Leeds made themselves difficult to break down and looked to defend their lead.

Baptiste came close to pulling a goal back with just over ten minutes to go after Ince had bundled his way into the area put he slipped as he struck his shot and his effort went harmlessly over.

The captain then had another chance with five minutes to go but he sent his header over from Ince's inswinging free-kick.

Several late set-pieces were all defended well by the home side and Blackpool were forced to leave empty handed.


Advertisement block