Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team: Blackpool 0 Wrexham 3

25 February 2013

Youngsters Suffer Defeat To Welsh Counterparts

Blackpool Youth fell to a 3-0 defeat against high-flying Wrexham at Squires Gate on Saturday.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 31st minute courtesy of striker Bradley Reid, although The Seasiders were seemingly on top after the opening half-hour.

They then doubled their lead just before half-time through Chris Clarke, which made life very difficult for Blackpool heading into the second period.

Despite the defeat coach John Hills was pleased with the way his Pool youngsters performed in the match.

"I said to the lads before the game, ‘I just want a good performance’ I wasn’t too bothered about the result." Hills said.

The Seasider’s had plenty of chances throughout the game and could have taken the lead early on when lone striker Connor Ready was sent clear, only to be denied by John Hungin in the Wrexham goal.

After 26 minutes Ready had another chance to break the deadlock, but he couldn’t get enough power on his shot, following Emmanuel N’Daw’s fine run and cross.

Five minutes later, and Blackpool were punished for wasting their chances.

Wrexham midfielder Kyle Parle played a delightful cross-field ball to winger Clarke, who got in behind the defence and laid the ball off to Reid, who couldn’t miss from five yards.

Then in first-half injury time Wrexham captain Robert Evans ran unopposed through Pool’s midfield, sliding a pass to Clarke who slotted the ball into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

"For the first half an hour I felt we were the better team, then they scored a soft goal from our point of view and we seemed to let our heads drop and our work rate slipped," said Hills.

"Those 15 minutes were disappointing, but overall I’m pleased with the lads. They gave a good account of themselves."

John Hills was forced to make a substitution early in the second-half when Ash Rowley was recklessly fowled by Ross Weaver, who was subsequently yellow carded by referee Mr. A. Sykes.

Rowley’s replacement, Henry Cameron was immediately in the thick of the action and almost got Pool back in the game in the 51st minute.

The pacey wide man flew down the right wing and found midfielder Josh Ling with a good cross, but his header went narrowly over the bar from six yards out.

"We created enough chances to get something from the game, just a bit of composure was needed, and that was the main difference between the two sides today." Hills said.

In stark contrast Wrexham were ruthless in front of goal, and put the game beyond doubt in the latter stages.

Blackpool opted to play out from the back, and Wrexham dispossessed their hosts on the edge of the Pool area. 

This time it was Weaver who finished well from inside the box to make it 3-0 and put the game to bed.

Team: Hunt, Johnston-Schuster, N’Daw, Staunton-Turner (Shaw 79), McGahey, Mouldon, Blackett, Ling, Ready (Lomax 60), Cole [C], Rowley (Cameron 49).

Unused subs: Fraser, Gardikiotis.

Advertisement block