Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton Athletic 2 Blackpool 1

12 January 2013

Report: Charlton Athletic 2 Blackpool 1

A fine, late strike from Nathan Eccleston wasn't enough for Blackpool to avoid a 2-1 defeat to Charlton at The Valley. 

The striker's first goal for the club, which came in injury-time, couldn't prevent a first loss in 2013, with first-half strikes from Johnnie Jackson and Scott Wagstaff giving the home side all three points.  

The Seasiders, managed by caretaker boss Steve Thompson, fell to their first defeat of 2013 in a game without too many real opportunities. 

Despite that, Blackpool could have opened up the scoring inside two minutes, with a Kevin Phillips header cleared off the line after great work by Nathan Delfouneso. 

Isaiah Osbourne, up for the battle in midfield, needed treatment following a clash of heads on 15 minutes, although he was fit to resume moments later. 

It took until minute 20 for some sustained Charlton pressure, Matt Taylor heading back across goal from a corner. Luckily Nathan Delfouneso was positioned perfectly to clear the ball away. 

The home side took the lead soon after though, Johnnie Jackson found the ball just outside the area and fired low past the diving Matt Gilks. 


The Seasiders looked to hit back immediately but Isaiah Osbourne's effort from distance was caught easily by Ben Hamer. 

Pool, wearing their blue third strip, continued to dictate possession without creating any clear-cut chances. The home side tried to add to their lead when an opportunity fell to Bradley Pritchard in the box but his effort deflected out for a corner. 

An acrobatic effort from Kevin Phillips was the closest Blackpool came to an equaliser before half-time, but in the first of three minutes added time the home side doubled their advantage. Scott Wagstaff smashed in a rebound after Matt Gilks had denied Yann Kermorgant. 


The Seasiders were back out early for the second-half as they looked to find a way back in the game. Charlton, meanwhile, had set their stall out for the second 45 and the challenge for Pool was to break them down. 

As the hour mark approached without any real sign of The Seasiders pulling a goal back, Steve Thompson opted to bring on Gary Taylor-Fletcher for Isaiah Osbourne. It was Chris Powell's side who continued to threaten however, with a number of testing balls pumped into the box. 

A second change for Blackpool saw Nathan Eccleston replace Nathan Delfouneso in an effort to try and apply more pressure on The Addicks' defence. 

Tom Ince, now playing in the hole, looked to try and pull a goal back for The Seasiders but his strike dropped wide of the post. The winger tried his luck again moments later, before Steve Thompson made his third and final change by bringing on Tiago Gomes for Phillips. 

A fine effort from Nathan Eccleston from just outside the area was a little too late for Blackpool, with the strike coming in three minutes of added time. 




Advertisement block