Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Blackpool 0 Newcastle United 1

28 July 2013

Final Friendly Ends In Narrow Loss

Blackpool’s final game of pre-season ended in a 1-0 defeat to Newcastle United, but The Seasiders more than held their own against the Premier League side.

In what was a competitive match at Bloomfield Road, manager Paul Ince named a very strong side for the encounter, which featured new signings Michael Chopra and Steven Davies.  

Newcastle netted the only goal of the game after just five minutes, when a floated cross from Yohan Cabaye was brought down by striker Shola Ameobi and after clever link up play with Yoan Gouffran in the Blackpool box, Ameobi scored with a neat half volley to beat Pool goalkeeper Matt Gilks.

Goal: Blackpool 0 – 1 Newcastle United

The Magpies continued to dominate early possession, with midfielder Cabaye directing play and the tempo of the game.

Blackpool found their feet 14 minutes into the game, but were unable to capitalise from three Thomas Ince corners. 

Three minutes later, Pool’s first real attack came when Bobby Grant latched onto a loose ball, hitting it first-time and narrowly missing from the edge of the area. 

The Seasiders should have equalised on 29 minutes, after clever link-up play from a free-kick outside of the area. A fantastic delivery from Grant found defender Craig Cathcart for a free header but Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot did well to tip the ball over.

Pool’s next real chance came after 38 minutes, when Ince was unable to trouble Elliot, missing the target with a fierce shot from outside of the area as the ball sailed wide. 

Just before half time, United midfielder Moussa Sissoko had a goal disallowed for offside.  Ameobi was injured during the build-up play and would not return in the second half.

Half time - Blackpool 0 – 1 Newcastle United

Pool started the second half well, controlling early possession and playing the majority of their football in Newcastle’s half.

The Seasiders first shot of the second-half came on 52 minutes, with an ambitious effort from Ince, whose shot from the half way line glided just over the bar.

On 70 minutes Ince would get another opportunity on goal, after substitute Daylon Claasen played the winger through, only for Ince to shoot wide across the face of the goal.

Pool keeper Matt Gilks kept The Magpies from doubling their lead at the other end, denying Sylvain Marveaux with a top draw one-on-one save. 

The Seasiders final attack of the game summed up their performance in front of goal, after Eccleston sliced high and wide just before the final whistle. 

The second-half performance was full of positives for Blackpool however, as manager Paul Ince and his side now turn their attentions to a SkyBet Championship at Doncaster on Saturday.

Full time - Blackpool 0 – 1 Newcastle United

Attendance: 6,863

Advertisement block