Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 09/03/2013

9 March 2013

Report: Watford 1 Blackpool 2

A stirring second-half comeback from The Seasiders handed Paul Ince his first three points as Blackpool boss at high-flying Watford.

Goals from Thomas Ince and Gary MacKenzie proved to be just enough after Watford took the lead in the first-half through Christian Battocchio.

The Seasiders started out with Matt Derbyshire playing as the lone striker and the 26-year-old had an early effort but his volley from the edge of the area was saved well by Jonathan Bond.

Watford's keeper was tested again shortly after as Neal Eardley whipped in a cross, which he managed to get hold of at the second attempt with Derbyshire lurking.

Gianfranco Zola had to make a late change to his starting line-up with Jonathan Hogg coming in for Almen Abdi, who was injured in the warm-up but that didn't disrupt the rhythm of their play as they put together some fine passing moves.

Fernando Forestieri was at the heart of Watford's early attacks and his movement created space for Hogg, who got on the end of a right-wing cross but sent his header inches wide of the post.

Both sides began to enjoy some good passing spells but with 27 minutes on the clock Gary MacKenzie was caught on the ball by Troy Deeney and the striker charged towards the edge of the area, played in Christian Battochio and the Italian dinked the ball over Matt Gilks.

GOAL: WATFORD 1-0 Blackpool

The Seasiders almost got themselves back on level terms minutes later but Ince's swerving strike from 25 yards out was palmed away for a corner.

Zola's side were still looking threatening as they continued to work the ball well, with Forestieri again looking dangerous, but this time he was booked for diving as he attempted to win his side a free-kick on the edge of the box.

Derbyshire came close again for Blackpool, but Bond pulled off a stunning save to claw the ball away as the striker's header looked to have looped over the keeper.

From the resulting corner Phillips almost got the equaliser but his goal-bound effort was blocked by one of a host of Watford bodies.

Blackpool ended the half the stronger but were unable to find that breakthrough.


Ludovic Sylvestre was brought on at half-time for Eardley in midfield as Paul Ince looked to get more support to Derbyshire through the middle.

Some nice play from the Sylvestre and Ince almost sent Derbyshire through on goal, but a touch from Lloyd Doyley to take the ball out of the forward's control proved to be vital.

Barry Ferguson was his typically tenacious self, putting his body on the line in tackles and refusing to give Watford's midfielders too much time on the ball.

As the clock ticked towards the hour The Hornets almost found themselves two goals in front but Matthew Briggs couldn't react to Deeney's flick on in time and his header flashed wide of the far post.

Watford's top scorer Matej Vydra came on for Forestieri with just over 20 minutes to go, but it was Blackpool who continued to do most of the pressing in the second period with Phillips, Sylvestre and Ferguson looking lively.

With just 15 minutes to go Blackpool deservedly equalised when a long passing move ended with Ferguson playing in Crainey in the left inside channel and Ince fired home at the near post into the roof of the net.


Moments after the goal Delfouneso earned his side a corner out of nothing and from the resulting dead-ball Baptiste head wide while under pressure.

With just a few minutes to go Blackpool took the lead in somewhat scrappy fashion through Gary MacKenzie, but it was no more than their second-half performance deserved.


The goal came from Ince's beautifully delivered corner that went over Bond and was bundled home by the man on-loan from MK Dons.

Four minutes of time were added on but Ince's men hung on to secure all three points.


Advertisement block