Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/03/2013

29 March 2013

Report: Blackburn 1 Blackpool 1

Blackpool played out a 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers on Good Friday at Ewood Park, despite taking the lead in a league game for the first time since they played their Lancashire rivals in December.

Gary MacKenzie got Pool's goal but The Seasiders couldn't hold on and the home side equalised with 12 minutes to go through their top scorer Jordan Rhodes to ensure the game ended honours even.

Barry Ferguson and Chris Basham started alongside each other in the heart of the Pool midfield after being passed fit following respective head injuries with both being typically workman-like.

The Seasiders started the game well, knocking the ball around nicely and almost took a deserved lead when Basham played in Matt Derbyshire, but his effort from 12 yards was well blocked by Scott Dann.

Despite Blackpool's early dominance and a couple of good defensive clearances from Rovers, they could have gone behind had Grant Hanley connected better with his effort following a melee in the area.

That chance didn't alter the approach of Ince's side and as they continued to press high up the pitch some good work from Alex Baptiste created an opportunity for Matt Phillips,but his fierce shot from 25 yards out whistled over the bar.

With a quarter of the game gone Derbyshire earned his side a corner and from the resulting dead ball the striker nodded over from eight yards out, while under pressure from two Rovers defenders.

With just over ten minutes of the first-half to go Phillips took aim from 30 yards and with Jake Kean scrambling to his right the winger's shot went narrowly wide of the left-hand post.

The half drew to a close with little more in the way of chances and the sides went in level at the break.


The second-half started in a similkar fashion to how the first ended, with both sides cancelling each other out, until the 53rd minute when David Jones found himself through on goal.

He fortuitously bundled his way past Gilks only to send his volley over the bar on the angle.

That chance spurred the home side into life and moments later Josh King sent a side-footed effort into the ground and over the crossbar.

The game then swung the other way and Blackpool began to enjoy some possession in the Rovers half. 

Nathan Delfouneso came on for Derbyshire and some good work from the substitute created space for Sylvestre to let fly from 25 yards out, but his shot was parried away by Kean.

As The Seasiders stepped up another gear they got the opener through Gary MacKenzie, who lashed in from close range after Baptiste had nodded Ince's corner back across the face of goal.

GOAL: Blackburn 0-1 BLACKPOOL

It was the defender's second goal since joining on-loan from MK Dons following his winner at Watford a few weeks ago.

As the game wore on The Seasiders began to sit a bit deeper and a quick corner from the right was well worked and Jordan Rhodes stooped to head home from eight yards out.

GOAL: BLACKBURN 1-1 Blackpool

Into the final ten minutes, substitute Leon Best drove a shot hard and low across the box, which went just wide of the far post although Gilks looked to have had it covered.

Broadfoot pounced on a loose ball inside his own half from Blackburn, before releasing Ince down the right, who ran towards the area, checked onto his left foot only to see Kean parry the ball away for a corner.

In added on time a beautifully whipped in ball from Grandin was powerfully met by Delfouneso but the striker's header was too central and Kean again parried the ball behind.

That was the last action of the game and both sides left with a point.


Advertisement block