Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Stay Top

11 November 2013

Pool Beat Wigan 2-0

First-half goals from George Lomax and Dion Charles sealed a 2-0 win for Pool’s youth team against Wigan Athletic at Squires Gate on Saturday.

The young Seasiders, top of the North West Youth Alliance, took the lead through Lomax’s dink over Latics goalkeeper Callum Maulby inside two minutes, before Charles doubled their advantage from Henry Cameron’s low cross.

Wigan created chances to come back into the match after the break, but Richie Kyle’s side held on to continue their impressive run of form – now featuring seven wins from the last eight league games.

Beginning on the front foot, Pool needed just two minutes to score the opener. A one-two between Lomax and Conor Ready sent the striker through on goal, and his loft over the oncoming keeper into the left corner was his fifth league goal this season.

On the left, Charles was causing problems for Latics full-back Luke Burke, and had his first touch from Cameron’s right-wing cross been better, Pool could have scored a quick second. 

Cameron was also nearly in for the second, coming in from the right and speeding past Reece McNally, but this time Maulby rushed out to save the winger’s low effort in the box.

Wigan responded with their first attempt moments after, as Matthew Hamilton’s low drive from outside the penalty area nearly crept in at the right post, but for the hand of Connor Hunt at full stretch.

Lomax looked for his second of the match just short of the half-hour mark, firing a first-time effort at Maulby from Rowan Richardson’s pullback on the right.

However, the second eventually did come, as Cameron drilled a low cross through Wigan’s penalty box, and Charles, free in space on the left of the area, struck low into the opposite corner to double Pool’s advantage.

Hamilton almost halved the deficit for Wigan before half-time with a forceful run through the centre, then driving wide of the right post from outside the box.

But, at the break, the young Tangerines held a commanding lead and looked to keep another of many clean sheets this season.

Daniel Leicth had an early chance for Wigan in the second half, blazing over the crossbar when found by Sam Cosltrone inside the penalty area.

At the other end, Lomax was close to his second and Blackpool’s third after a mistake from the Latics’ defence, but Maulby was on hand once again to block the striker’s effort one on one.

Both sides had chances in a more even second period, with the next goal potentially being crucial to the outcome. 

It was Wigan who came closest to it. First, Cosltrone scooped the ball over the crossbar from inside the box when Hamilton’s cross from the right picked him out.

Then, for Wigan’s best chance, Hamilton volleyed over Burke’s cross from the right in the penalty area.

In the end, though, Pool saw off the Latics’ challenge to remain top of the North West table for at least another week.

Blackpool line-up: Hunt, Richardson, McGahey, Moulden, Higham, Staunton-Turner (c), Waddington, Ready, Charles, Cameron, Lomax

Advertisement block